Wednesday, April 29, 2009

** Update on Parks College & NASA Connection **

Earlier in my blog I wrote about my dad, James Lewellen, who graduated from Parks Aeronautical College in 1952, and also about Gene Kranz, graduate of 1954, who went on to NASA and had a major role in getting the astronauts safely back home during the Apollo 13 crisis.

I just discovered that my dad also had a very important role in NASA's history. He worked at Cape Canaveral during John Glenn's 2nd flight in 1998. (The comment around some family members' houses at that time was: "Who's older? Dad or John Glenn??")

It appears that dad was one of the few remaining computer guys around that could "read" old computer language and translate it into the modern. He moved around his desk and work areas on a scooter of some sort, because his health was already deteriorating.

Even though his body was slowing down, his mind was still brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.