Saturday, April 17, 2010

** So Much To Say...♪ ♫...The Final Part **

Hopefully, I can make this short and sweet tonight ....kind of like me! :D

Carnegie Libraries  I didn't know any of the history about the library donations of businessman and  philanthropist Andrew Carnegie until just a few years ago. I certainly knew of him, but nothing about his generosity. The following is taken directly from the link at Wikipedia: More than 2,500 Carnegie libraries were built, including some belonging to public and university library systems. Of the 2,509 such libraries funded between 1883 and 1929, 1,689 were built in the United States.
A few years ago, I was in one of these beautiful old buildings that still stands in Greenfield, Iowa. A large section of it was being (I assume) rented, by a married couple who owned a fabulous gift shop with the name, The Old Carnegie. That's when I asked questions about the name and discovered the library's history. Since that time, the couple divorced and the shop was closed. About a year ago, I heard The Old Carnegie might be getting some new inhabitants. It may become the new site for the Greenfield Chamber of Commerce. I hope so, because that charming old building deserves to be filled again with people, books, desks....the business of life.

ALA (American Library Association)  It's National Library Week, that's why!

Spencer Road Library; St. Charles County, Missouri: Still nothing online to post about the magnificent renovation that is due to begin just about any day. I did receive a very informative reply to my e-mail, part of which stated there should be something online very soon. Yippee!


Lastly, I can't say enough about this wonderful book.
"The Help", by Kathryn Stockett

I had heard nothing but rave reviews about it, and I finally got around to reading it. It is a stunning debut novel that will stay with you long after you've finished reading it. It's about how black maids (the help) were treated by their white employers in The South, in the very early 1960's. And, it's not only about those maids, but the segregation, in general, between whites and blacks at that time....especially in The South. A remarkable book!

Well, this didn't end up being very short and sweet afterall, but I felt obligated to finish it, and not rush through it. My faithful blogger buddies deserve the best!


"We are family...♪ ♫  I got all my sisters with me..♪♫..
We are family. ♫...Get up ev'rybody and sing...♪ ♫ " -- Sung by The Pointer Sisters (and also Sister Sledge)

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you are up late again, Becky!

    Last year my book club heartily discussed putting The Help on the list, but then it lost out to other books for the year, many that were very disappointing. I ead it on my own and now other members are too because you are right, it is outstanding book. I could not put it down. The writing is superb and engaging; the topic is disturbing but honest. While it is enlightening about the ugly history of Black/White relations in our country, it could be about any prejudice and the human weakness that allows it to be practiced.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The library where I work is part the old Carnegie building and part new additions. Another library I worked at a few years ago was originally in a Carnegie building but then moved to a new location and a new building. I think many libraries that used to be Carnegie libraries outgrew their facilities and either expanded or relocated.

    Neat post, Becky! Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky, Thanks for stopping by for a visit. I signed on to follow you so I can keep up with your writing accomplishments before you become too "famous":) I just finished this book and really liked it. Did you read my today's post about my Kindle which is coming in tomorrow? I am so excited and hope I won't have problems finding books I want to read. So many are not available on Kindle at this time. Ten years ago my husband at that time died and working my way through the grief I also wrote a book and submitted it to several (2 or 3) publishers but was turned down and then realized the need to have it published was not as great as the need had been for me to write it. So I am satisfied and now and then I post a little exerpt and picture and as they say, it's just a "thing". Best of luck to you with your writing. XXMollye

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Claudia! It's April 22nd, and I just realized I never responded to the comments on this post. I apologize!
    What you said about your book club is one of the excuses I've always had as to why I don't want to join one! Being "forced" to read something I may not really care for, or totally do not like! :)
    You are so right in everything you said about The Help. Maybe there will be a sequel sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Daisy! My apologies to you, too, for not replying sooner.
    That is really neat about your library being part old Carnegie! Such history and beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And last but definitely not least....dear Mollye! My newest blog follower! Seeing your comment this evening is what made me realize I had forgotten to respond to Claudia (Bookie) and Daisy's comments! I am so excited to have "met" you through Blog Land! I'm sorry to hear about your husband's death, but as you said, writing helped you through the grief. Having a blog is a wonderful tool, to showcase some of your writings, too. And, don't worry, even if I become "famous", I'll be TOO famous to forget all my wonderful friends!!

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.