Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Remember just two days ago when I wrote about the awesome deal for address labels going on at Vista Prints? I received my order already today! And I didn't pay for express shipping. They are adorable! I even took a picture to show them off! They are 2-1/2" x 3/4", pale yellow striped background, with a stack of books!! (I cut off my address, just for privacy reasons.) Aren't they cute?? If y'all e-mail your addresses to me, I'll send you a hand-written note! *Update: I just checked the website and it appears this particular special is over, but they do have other special pricing, so if you're interested, give it a look!



I forgot to mention that last Wednesday, June 2nd, I participated in a Career Day at one of my grandsons' schools. He is in the 3rd Grade and I spoke to three different 3rd grade classes about being a writer. Each presentation was only 20 minutes and everything went as planned. The kids had good questions and comments and grandson, Scotty, seemed pretty proud of his grandma! I love talking to kids about "going for their dreams", at any age, etc. I always take one or two of the Chicken Soup for the Soul books that I have stories in, a couple newspaper columns, a literary magazine that I have an article in, etc. I also took some "school papers" that I thought they might like. I handed them out toward the end of each session and hopefully at least some of them took them home! I have fun typing them up....I feel like a real teacher!

This paper asks what they learned from me. What kinds of books do they like to read. Do they write in a journal, or would they like to. It also says to ask their parents or grandparents or adult relative to tell them some things about their lives when they were young, and maybe have them write down their memories for them, etc. I told them how I wished I had something like that now, because people didn't really think about those things when I was young. Anyway, it was great fun and they were so well behaved.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

One more thing. Pal Donna at Donna's Book Pub posted some time ago about an upcoming Call for Submissions for a contest by Mozark Press. The deadline had been May 30th, but has been extended to June 15th, which is next Tuesday. This sounds really neat and I hope to get something sent in. The name of the contest is: A Shaker of Margaritas: Hot Flash Mommas. Fiction, Fun, and Forties Writing Contest.
Hmmm....I haven't read the small print. I hope it's okay to be older than "forties"!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Oh! One more thing!! I came across a pretty fabulous looking site earlier today. Do you ever "Google" yourself? It's good to do from time to time, to see if there's any incorrect or bad information "out there" about you. I found out that my blog is on this site called NewPages.com! This link will take you directly to the blogs listed. There must be hundreds of them....and I'm one of them! I swear I've never heard of this site before, so I don't know how I wound up there. They have Contest Magazines, Contests Books, Calls For Submissions, etc. Tons of places that were new to me! Give it a look....you just might find The Perfect Place to submit your work!!


"Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope or confidence." -- Helen Keller

25 comments:

  1. Oh, that's so cool, talking to kids about being a writer!
    I'm sure they were as cute as I imagine them :)

    And great links, thanks for sharing them!
    And... You're great, my guess is: that's why you're in that listing! Hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're such cool lady. I bet the kids will remember you as a high point in their day.

    Thanks for the links info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like you've been a busy lady! Your new stationery is very cute!

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good post Becky. And re Vista, my daughter Lori has been ordering her printing from them for years and I don't think they can be beat for their awesome deals!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog, Becky. Very nice to hear from you. Do you know about the social networking group SheWrites? If not, you may be interested in checking it out. It has attracted hundreds of women who are eager to talk about their work and share what they're doing. I think you would fit right in. All best to you and your writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. oh you have to come visit me today again...i've posted about my journal keeping.....memoires actually! come see!

    and I really do think that your stickers are cute too! i want to create some of my own!

    thanks!
    ciao bella
    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  7. and there's nothing like inspiring children to write!

    i wrote and published a children's story book and then went to different schools dressed up as the main character and spoke in an accent and read my story to so many children of different ages...
    they all hugged me in large groups...and It's something I will never forget!

    i suppose I should document that too!

    ciao bella
    creative carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  8. Been thinking about ordering from Vista for a while, may take the plunge now. Career Day sounds like fun. What a cool Grandma you are. Thanks for the links! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect labels for you! Write me :-) What a sweet grandma you are.

    ReplyDelete
  10. it's good that children learn about people's work. i've done this as well. good teaching tool. have a good day. rose

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Estrella. Thank you very much! Yes, I love talking to the kids. I started doing that last year, or the year before. I've spoken to just about all ages, including high school seniors, and even some adults at a library function. I'm a "talker" and not shy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Lisa! Thanks so much! It would be great if just one or two actually remember me through the years, huh?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi K9 Pat! Yeah, I love those address labels! You've been busy, too...and with fun vacation stuff! Which you totally deserved! Hope to see you at next Sat Writers.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Mollye! Thanks! I guess I never knew Vista Prints had such cool stuff. (I've seen some of their least expensive business cards and weren't too impressed. I get mine at Overnight Prints and they are very affordable, too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Dawn! Thanks very much! I took your advice and checked out SheWrites, which looks very interesting. I "signed up", waiting to be approved! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, Carmelina! You are a woman of so many talents!! I stopped by your blog earlier today, but I don't remember if I left a comment or not. I've been having problems with my laptop "freezing up" when I've been blogging for long periods of time. Does that happen to anyone else out there??
    And yes, you should document about your children's book, etc.!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Karen! Thanks for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Lynn! Thanks!! You're a pretty good grandma, too, I'm sure!
    And guess what? I already did write you a little note, which makes you the first recipient of an envelope with my new labels! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Rose! Thank you! Where and when did you speak to children? I'd be interested in hearing about it! Maybe you could post it on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're right; we DO have things in common. I often speak at schools about being a writer and "going for your dreams." I bring my book, magazine, and anthology publications with me (including one Chicken Soup for the Mother's Soul), along with a heap of rejection letters from earlier in my career.

    Looks like I'd better become a follower. Kindred spirits and all...

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  21. What fun to get to be a part of career day. I bet the kids enjoyed your speech.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I adore Vista Prints. Have used them forever. In fact, need new cards. Thanks for reminding me.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Sue! Wow! This is really one of Twilight Zone moments! How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Daisy! Thanks! Yes, I really love doing it. This was the only one I did all this past school year. I was invited to another one, but had to decline because of other plans. Hopefully, more will come up again next year!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Julie! Thanks! Glad I could be of help! :D

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.