Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Tid Bit Tuesday - Part 2 - My Sister, Jo Ann

When I wrote the first part of Tid Bit Tuesday, my deceased sister Jo Ann was also on my mind, due to a couple of reasons. Obviously when I saw the huge sign on the old Circuit City building that read Jo-Ann's Fabrics, I thought of her. There's various ways to spell Jo Ann, and most of the time they aren't spelled like hers.

The other reason was because she died in the month of June, 1984. I never remember the date of someone's death. I only remember their birth dates. Conscious decision or not? I'm not sure. Anyway, after seeing the Jo-Ann's Fabrics sign, I decided I really needed to know. I needed and wanted to know the date she lost her battle with cancer.

I e-mailed my other sister, my brother and sister-in-law, etc. My sister replied first, that she too didn't know the exact date. (Well, I guess I'm not so weird after all.) After I read her reply, I went downstairs to our basement, walked directly over to a junky dresser where old birthday cards, photographs, kids' school work, etc. are kept and found what I was looking for. After only 5 minutes or less, I uncovered Jo Ann's obituary, in perfect condition. It had been clipped from a newspaper, was folded nicely and obviously quite yellow with age.

I scanned over it quickly.....yes, she was born on such and such a date.....Then there it was, ..."passed away June 8, 1984.."

Oh my gosh! Today! Today is the 8th of June. HOW did I seem to know that? WHY did I become so determined to find out? WHAT or WHO led me to the exact place I must've looked numerous times before?

Y'all know I like to talk about my Twilight Zone moments. This is one for the books, as the saying goes. Help me, though. I'd really like to give a better, more meaningful name to what I've experienced over the past 24 Hours or so.

"My god, you've lost your mother." -- what a therapist said when I told her about my relationship with Jo Ann.
(I was devastated when she died. She was 16 years older than me. She was my sister, my friend, my mother)

22 comments:

  1. Wow Becky, I have goosebumps. It's amazing how things ro circumstances "talk" to us. If we'd just slow down and listen, what amazing things we could learn. My best friend recently had a similar experience. She found a wallet (at night) and went thru extrodinary lengths to get it back to the owner. As she was driving to return it to the owner (that same night) she saw a twinkling star in the sky. The only star out...and she knew it was her Dad and he was proud of what she did. Cool story. Like yours. Thanks Becky :) The really nutty thing is MY sisters birthday is January 8. Small world, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Frantic Mommy! Yeah, it was quite an experience. Seeing the huge Jo-Ann's Fabrics sign as I drove down the highway also made me think of the Steve Martin movie, L.A. Story. He receives advice from a lighted, blinking highway sign! Have you seen that one?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goosebumps over here too, that was quite the experience.
    I'm so glad you found that obituary yesterday, seems like you came across it when you most needed it :)
    And don't worry, you're certainly not weird! I also remember the birth dates more easily.

    Estrella

    ReplyDelete
  4. Something inside you knew. and isn't that neat that you paid attention to that little voice and did a follow up? I am sorry to hear that you lost your sister, Becky. It sounds like you two were blessed with a very special relationship.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awwwww, Becky. Your sister was communicating with you from the other side, sending you a message. Her spirit lives, as I'm sure you are aware. She will be with you today as you remember her with love. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with you: there needs to be a name for experiences like that since we've all had them. Hmmm...do I sense a new blog contest coming? Anyway, that's sweet that you can look back on your sister with love and goose bumps after all these years!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sometimes things like this may happen, but there will a sense of understanding within yourself. you'll find it. your sister's death was very meaningful, you remebereed the month, i 'm not good with dates to me , it's more important to remember the loss and to move forward. you've done that. have a good day. rose

    ReplyDelete
  8. The heart remembers things the mind would rather forget. This date you will most likely remember always, now. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I guess I'd call them step back moments or pause and ponder moments or something like that because whenever I have something like that happen to me, I just stop whatever I'm doing so I can think about what just happened. It makes me take a step back, so to speak, and take time to reflect on it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Estrella! Thank you so much for your kind words. I'm pretty sure I'll remember yesterday and the date of June 8th, for a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Kathy! Thanks. Yes, Jo Ann and I had quite a connection. And especially the older I got, our age difference seemed to narrow, ya know? I could talk to her about anything....I still think of her just about every day. They're usually happy thoughts, too, because she and I had the same type of sense of humor!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Susan! Thanks for your thoughtful comments!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Tammy! I think you just provided me with the perfect chapter title: "Love and Goosebumps After All These Years"!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Rose! Thank you! Very thoughtful and kind words!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Lisa! Thanks...and oh so true. Yes, I will remember the 8th of June, and with a much happier heart than I could have, years ago.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Daisy! Thanks! I like your ideas....Pause & Ponder...Rest & Reflect. I did both of those after I found that obituary so quickly last night!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Just write about her honey. Learn more and you may have unlocked a secret somewhere!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love these experiences. I have a lot more to say about it, but not that I want to express openly--at least not now. I'm sorry about your sis.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Mollye. Thank you so much. Your words were truly comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Lynn. Thank you. I know you would have a lot to talk about. Maybe someday when we're both in the mood for some serious discussions....I'd love to share memories with you.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Can't imagine anything harder. And I love that your spirit sensed June 8th was the day.

    I call it "spirit memory."

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Sue. Thank you for that....I really like it, too....."Spirit Memory"

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.