Monday, September 13, 2010

** It's Monday ... "Car 54, Where Are You?"

Don't ask me where THAT title came from because I have NO idea! It just popped into my head, the way most things do that I write about!  Yeah, I know... scary, isn't it?!

I completed another little task today pertaining to marketing of my book. (I'll be so glad when I won't feel like I'm doing everything backwards...and The Book is OUT THERE!) This was one of the things listed on the "Pre Published - Lay the Foundation" Parts 1 & 2 that I mentioned the other day. Gosh, I wish I could remember where I read that, because I'd love to thank the writer and give her/him recognition. This was #5 on the list: "Invest in a P.O. Box at your local Post Office. You will be mailing promotional items....."etc. I thought that was a great idea and would be much more professional, especially when those checks start rolling in! 

I told the clerk I probably won't be getting any mail in it for years and then added, "I guess I'll have to mail myself something", and she just cracked up. I also bought a page of the new Katherine Hepburn 44¢ stamp. What a fabulous actress she was!

Okay... I didn't mean to ramble on so much. NOW, I want to tell you about those 5 books I bought last week at Big Lots. I am so excited about them! Especially because the very first one I chose to read is SO good! I wasn't sure if I'd like it, but I really, really do. It's called "The Midwife: A Memoir of Birth, Joy, and Hard Times", by Jennifer Worth. I also discovered it's part of a series of three or four books, so Yippee! I'll have more to read by Jennifer.


The other books I bought that day are: "Hardly Knew Her", by Laura Lippman. This is a book of short stories.


"The Condition", by Jennifer Haigh. I'm familiar with this author. I read "Mrs. Kimble" a couple of years ago and really liked it, so I was thrilled to find this new novel.









This is "Homestead", by Jane Kirkpatrick. It's a memoir about "Modern Pioneers Pursuing the Edge of Possibility". Sounds intriguing!

And lastly, another memoir, "The End of the World As We Know It", by Robert Goolrick. It's about his life growing up in the 1950's. (Hmmm, that's one of my eras!)

You know what "they" say.....Writers should read the same genre that they write. Or something like that. I love memoirs anyway, so that certainly isn't a chore for me to do!

If I can get myself to part with any of these after I read them, I may include one or more in another contest. Would y'all mind reading used books? I'm pretty sure I know the answer to that!

"Good instincts usually tell you what to do long before your head has figured it out." -- Michael Burke

16 comments:

  1. Ooooh! My Blackberry Blogger-Detector was charging up, so I was not alerted you blogged over 30 minutes ago...

    It sounds like you snagged some great books. How come I never see books like that at Deals or Big Lots?

    I would love to borrow the memoir about the midwife, if you would loan it out when you're finished with it. (I would gently read it, not bend the pages back too much,and not drip chocolate ice cream on it, so you could still give it away as a prize.) I love memoirs too, and when I was pregnant with my daughter (32 years ago) I wanted a midwife to assist me. Missouri was very backward at the time, and would not allow midwives---unless they assisted doctors---to practice. I ended up with a marvelous osteopath, and gave birth to both my kids at home, but the idea of midwives is intriguing...

    P.S. I OFTEN give books as gifts--books that I have pre-read (for quality control purposes, of course)--and sometimes choose a book that I would like more than the giftee does, just so I can kill two birds with one stone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE YOUR QUOTE, IT'S TRUE, GO WITH YOUR GUTT. I LOVE TO READ BIO'S LOVE K. HEPBURN.TAKE CARE. ROSE

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooo. . .the books look interesting. Expecially the Homestead one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky, Thanks for the list of books to loook for. I'm off to Big Lots today. I've been reading 50 Days in Heaven by Randy Alcorn on my Kindle and it has inspired me more than I can say and I've ordered one for everyone in my family. Your book you sent is very good and helpful, one to be picked up and read at random for anyone of us at any chapter that applies. Thank you for thinking of me. Love you , Mollye Another book that I'm reading now is The Liars Club by Mary Karr and it is a hoot.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I saw a table full of books at my Big Lots last month, but we were hurrying through so I didn't stop. I wonder if they have that Laura Lippman one? Sounds like a shopping trip is in order!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Laura Lippman and The Condition is a really good read!
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I haven't read any of these, the list of titles is great. Big Lots? I never knew!

    I just finished A Reliable Wife by Goolrick...hope his first book is as good for you. Let me know if I should read it too. Right now, I am reading Jackalope Dreams by Mary Blew. Very good read set in Montana!

    Caught me, Becky. No the autumn trees are from last year. I couldn't wait any longer! However,
    our trees are turning and this week's weather will hustle them along I think!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I never thought of buying books at Big Lots. I'll be on the lookout from now on.

    I don't think anyone minds reading used books an if it's a prize, all the better.

    Sounds like your book is coming along. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Becky,

    I think that it is great that you are doing things along the way. It is like being at work, managing the company ... some stuff you do when you think you should be doing something else. Then, 3 weeks later, something big comes up and you are so glad that you had done it the hard work already. Does that make sense?

    I love Jane Kirkpatrick, and I have read Homestead. It is the story of when she and her husband moved to their property (which is only a couple of hours from where we live in Oregon). It is very inspiring story for those of us who are starting out on our writing careers at a later age.

    It is so fun to get new books at a great price, isn't it!

    Have a wonderful day.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'll have to check these out. I like a good memoir, myself!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  11. uh, did I ever mention I love books? we have quite a collection and used books ARE the best kind!! for many reasons: 1)quality control (as you wisely mentioned) - if it was read before, it must be good! 2) history - who bought it? what was the purpose? why they gave it away? 3) vibe - the more hands over it, higher the energy, better the experience. You just gave me a topic to write about!! (ps - I just can't get over the title of your post... and your explanation of it... it is just adorable!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. All we need to do is stop - be quiet - and listen to our instincts. I loved Kate.

    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  13. I will be looking for that Midwife book for sure now that my daughter is going to have a baby and will use a midwife!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree with OJ--used books are best. In fact, I think they improve with each reader! (And did I ever tell you I had my youngest at home with two midwives??)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like you got some interesting books, Becky. I hope you enjoy reading them.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Sioux ~ Gosh, you always leave great comments... All I gotta say is: You have to dig deep and spend time to find good books in all of the bargain bins, no matter where they are!

    Hi Rose ~ Thanks! I loved Kate, too.

    Hi Mollye ~ Thank you so much. You are such an inspiration to me! I'm glad the book I sent has been a good one. Let me know if you find any good ones at Big Lots!

    Hi Janel ~ Isn't it funny the places we stumble across books?

    Hi Alice ~ Oh, I'm so glad to hear you liked The Condition!

    Hey Bookie ~ Ha! I wasn't trying to "catch you"! Sorry about that! I don't blame you, though. The picture is gorgeous!

    Hi Myrna ~ Thank you so much! You are one of my newest and bestest blog buddies! :D

    Hi Oregon Kathy ~ That's really neat that you've read Homestead! And I totally understood what you meant about planning ahead! Thanks!

    Hi Sue ~ Thanks!

    Hi OJ ~ Thanks!! You always make me smile or laugh! Great comments!

    Hi Chatty ~ Yes, so true. And yes, loved Kate!

    Hi Linda ~ Hey, did I know you were going to be a grandma?? Is this your first? I'm sorry...my short term memory is rotten!!

    Wow Tammy ~ Speaking of short term memory....if you ever told me that...I sure don't remember! AND that is something I definitely should remember!! Awesome! You'll have to tell me more about it next time we meet for lunch or dinner!

    Hi Daisy ~ Thanks! And from reading all these comments, I can just about assure y'all that I WILL be giving at least one of these away sometime later....after I've read them!! :D

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.