Monday, December 6, 2010

Classic TV and a Ridiculous Warning

CLASSIC TV
You get what you pay for! I found the DVD pictured below at Dollar Tree, probably at least 2 years ago, put it with the rest of the DVDs and never got around to watching it....until, that is.....Friday night. For the mere price of one dollar, this little gem contains three "classic" television shows from the 1950s. If you think you see Betty White on the cover, you are correct. She and the actor with her (Bill Williams) were in a short-lived TV show called A Date with the Angels. (Don't you just love Betty White?? I hope I'm still doing what I love and still enjoying life as much as she is when I get to be her age!)

They played Gus, an insurance salesman and his new bride, Vicki. They aren't "real angels"....that's their last name. Gus and Vicki Angel. If you're a baby boomer and have never heard of this show, don't feel bad. I'm a 1950s TV junkie and had never heard of it, either. Probably because it only lasted one season. Anyway....this particular Christmas episode, Santa's Helper, was really cute and typical of a 50s TV sitcom. Besides the two main actors, the guest stars are very recognizable actors, too: Burt Mustin, Richard Deacon, and Nancy Kulp. Very cute episode, which I just discovered can also be seen on You Tube.

The other two shows on the DVD were truly awful, in a hilarious sort of way. I won't even go into them, because it would take up too much room!


A RIDICULOUS WARNING

The Ronald and I have owned a Bunn coffee maker for a couple of years, but I never took the time to read the Warnings on the carafe until this morning. (Why, you make ask? Well, I just assumed I would know all the wrong, bad, stupid things a person should NOT do with a glass carafe.) Ahhhh, but I was wrong! I did not know this particular one: "Do not hold over people." Wow! Thank goodness they put that important message on there! OMG! Now I know not to hold it over people!! BUT, do they mean while it is empty? Full of hot water? Full of cold water? Full of hot coffee? And do they mean "don't pour it over people's heads? Or do not threaten to break it over people's heads? I just don't get it.... I think we people who buy coffee makers need to have the warnings spelled out a little more clearly! I don't want any accidents to happen, because I wasn't cautioned properly.

“I am so busy doing nothing... that the idea of doing anything - which as you know, always leads to something - cuts into the nothing and then forces me to have to drop everything.” -- Jerry Seinfeld

20 comments:

  1. Thank you! I just had cookies and coffee with Betty! (<--I dropped everything and followed your lead: I had a "bite" of a YouTubey "Santa's Helper"! Delicious!) You know, a person's got to wonder what Richard Deacon looked like as an infant. At any given point in his TV life, he always looked the same!

    Your coffee maker story deserves a 21 Bunn salute! Outrageously funny! I remember a while back when I accompanied a friend to a bicycle store (<--not so much my Comfort Zone). To pass the time, as he checked out bikes, I pretended to be interested in accessories. I laughed out loud upon reading a warning label on a helmet-mounted mirror: "Remember: Objects in the mirror are actually behind you."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Sparkle!! That is too funny about the bicycle mirror!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE Betty White. I buy those dollar DVDs sometimes, too. Sometimes there are surprising gems, but mostly OMG TV has improved since the fifties in so many ways!

    Re: stupid warnings. I find them so sad. They wouldn't be there if somebody hadn't been so stupid they poured coffee on somebody's head or didn't know things in the mirror were behind them--and they sued a company over it! I think our litigious society has led to a kind of veneration of the stupid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I DO love Betty White. Doesn't everyone?!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Betty White! I doesn't matter if she is Ellen Harper, Rose Nylund, or Elka Ostrovsky on Hot In Cleveland she is a master of her craft. Her appearance last season on Saturday Night Live, after over 500,000 people petitioned for it, was one of the best episodes ever to air.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Betty White is one of the most amazing actresses/person I know. Love,
    sandie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think the Sue Ann Nivens character--in the old Mary Tyler Moore show---was Betty White at her best. She had such a twinkle in her eye and such a bawdiness in her remarks.

    Sparkle--21 Bunn salute...Way too clever!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Becky,

    Too funny. I haven't seen or remember the show you were talking about, but will keep my eyes open. I loved how Betty White was starring in football commercials this year. What a lady!

    I wonder if they meant do hold it over peoples heads (or up high, if you are a wait person) just in case the bottom falls out and they are showered with hot coffee?

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've gone through three coffee makers lately trying to get one that doesn't pour all over the cabinet when it's ready. Design, obviously, is more important than functionality. Now, I just hold it over the trash can while I fill my cup. I don't need another half full anyway, do I?

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a cool find that DVD was, Becky! I've never heard of that show, but it sounds like a fun one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anything with Betty White must be wonderful. How funny about your Bunn!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh, Betty White. Read an interview she gave recently and thought I want to be Betty White when I grow up.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol! who write those warnings anyway? "do not hold over people" gee, thanks for the heads up! Once I read the following warning/instruction on christmas lights:
    "for indoors and outdoors use ONLY"...
    so Becky, plese forget about taking them with you to your afterlife or the twilight zone!
    Have a great Tuesday!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks everyone for all your fantastic comments!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, that is hilarious!! I cannot believe they actually put that warning on there. Just think, all this time you have had that coffee pot, you had no idea that holding the carafe over someone's head was dangerous....lol. Thank goodness they are looking out for you:)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh, too funny!!! I once had a curling iron that said, "Do not use while sleeping." Those DVDs look like good stocking stuffers, though! Hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks again to everyone who left comments! I love to make people laugh, smile, and/or just think about things...and maybe in a different way than usual.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my, I love those kinds of warnings, it's like that ridiculous rule about no human remains in carry-ons I had to deal with. They're so darned difficult to check in ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm a sucker for the old sit-coms. "I Love Lucy" still makes me laugh, even though I've seen each episode at least three dozen times. I guess my comedy palate hasn't become sophisticated enough to appreciate today's TV humor.

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  20. I grew up in the fifties but missed A Date with the Angels. Doesn't sound like I really missed anything!!

    But I LOVE Betty White. SHE is a classic.
    Ann Best, Long Journey Home

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.