Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Words, Wonderful Words...And Music, Too

Since I don't drive in rush-hour traffic anymore, and most of my errands are taken care of near my home, I'm not in my car long enough to listen to CDs much. When I do get on a highway, though, I like to take some of my own music along...because...you know, all those commercials on radio stations...they make me nuts! And, I don't have satellite radio, either.

SO, today, I had the pleasure of driving along Hwy 270, 40, 364.....(those numbers make me want to either shout "Hike"...or WOW, those are the measurements of a huge, strangely built woman!)

While be-boppin' along, trying to stay as near as possible to the speed limit, I listened to my Jason Mraz CD, "Mr. A-Z". When I finally got my mind to quit wandering up and around, and in and out, about all the things I was concerned about, I began to really hear the lyrics. If you're not familiar with Jason Mraz...oh my gosh... he writes amazing songs. Below is just part of the lyrics about him leaving a message for his girl friend. The song's title is: "Did You Get My Message?"

..."Do you ever wonder what happens to the words that we send
Do they bend, do they break from the flight that they take
And come back together again with a whole new meaning
In a brand new sense, completely unrelated to the one I sent"...

Those words just captured me today. I sang along and felt so alive and happy.
Beautiful words.....beautiful music...


"It takes some silence to make sound
It takes a loss before you found it
And it takes a road to go nowhere
It takes a toll to make you care
It takes a hole to make a mountain" from the song "Life is Wonderful" by Jason Mraz

13 comments:

  1. Becky I'm not familiar with this singer but you have me intrigued!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you are beep bopping on the roads, I guess yesterday's black ice is gone!

    Me, I've been doing some Patsy Cline!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love him and his word play. Another great band with amazing lyrics is Eve6 "they'll tie you in a knot, not knowing what to not know..."

    Life is Wonderful has been one of my favorite songs for a long time! Good tunes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always loved listening to music while driving in my car. Somehow the motion of the car and the landscape speeding by gives the music a whole new meaning, a whole new freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Becky, I love Jason Mraz's music. He has such a cheerful and upbeat sound and great lyrics too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I just dropped in and before I even read your post I heard Dean Martin singing, "Sway."

    A. I LOVE Dean Martin.

    B. I LOVE "Sway."

    So I stuck around awhile, listening and swaying, reading and smiling. Thanks, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jason Mraz is brilliant! I know it's typical, but I love "I'm Yours." It's a fun one to get caught humming (or worse, singing) when I think nobody is listening.

    OH! And I listened to the version of Hallelujah you told me about on my blog earlier. AMAZZZZZZZZZING! Chills have been felt!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! "I'm Yours" is my cell ring tone. JM rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun, Becky. Yes, if I didn't like the NPR station formats I hear, I'd go nuts on road trips! CDs -- they rock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, thanks everyone!!

    Linda, did you have time to check out Jason Mraz?

    Bookie, We didn't have black ice in our area, thank goodness! And I LOVE Patsy Cline, too! What a voice! I have a couple of her songs on my Play List!

    Jennee, I haven't heard of Eve6, but I'll check them out. And yeah..Life is Wonderful is a fav of mine, too!

    Hey Other Becky! Yes, I so agree!

    Hi Nothingprofound, I love to speed along like that, too. One of my favorites is Lake Shore Drive!

    Hi Daisy...glad you know and like him!

    Hey Sue: Ditto!

    Hi Cathy, I'm thrilled to know that a favorite song and singer was on while you were here! That kind of thing makes my day! Really!

    Hey Paul Joseph...I so glad you like the version!

    Hi Lisa! I remember you telling me that!! :)

    Hi Jeanie! I like NPR sometimes, too. Especially if they have an author on that I like!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You can dedicate a ton of posts to Mraz and I will never complain!

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.