Sunday, June 5, 2011

* If It's Sunday, I'm Mixed Up...Again *

I totally forgot about my "I Wonder" post on Friday. I'm blaming it on the fact that last Monday was Memorial Day and I've been all discombobulated since! I'll just wait until next Friday now, and hope I remember. Hmmm....time for another Post-It stuck to my forehead?!

You know how I love those "Twilight Zoney" moments I experience from time to time? I asked for comments a while back, for different, better names. Blogger friend, Daisy, had a really good one and of course now that I'm trying to find it, I can't. I either wasn't listing labels at the time, or forgot. She called it "Cosmic-Something-Or-Other." So, Daisy if you read this, let me know if YOU remember!

So, here's my "Cosmic Twilight Zoney" ♫ ♪♫ moment: Just a day ago, I jotted a note to myself to blog about those Misunderstood Song Lyrics we've all heard over the years! Way back in 1968, Herb Alpert recorded and released a song called, "This Guy's In Love With You." It was a ballad, a love song. My oldest sister, Jo Ann, always thought he was singing, "the sky's in love with you" and she said that just didn't make any sense! Too Funny! WELL.....here's the Twilight Zoney part. Today, on one of the few TV shows I tape on my DVR, CBS Sunday Morning, who do you think one of their interviews was with? Herb Alpert! Isn't that wild? He is such an intelligent, multi-talented, philanthropic,very un-celebrity-like man. And on top of that, he and his wife have been married for something like 40 years! Very rare!

What about you? Have you ever misunderstood some song lyrics??

"It takes no time to fall in love, but it takes you years to know what love is.” -- Jason Mraz  (this is one of many favorite lyrics from Jason Mraz)

14 comments:

  1. So many it is funny!
    Songs I thought I knew in my teens now are clear as a bell and I find myself chuckling to myself.
    Innocence !

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I was a kid I never understood why anyone would "play solitare till dawn with a deck of fifty WON" Now I know it is 51.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky,

    "discombobulated"...

    Gosh, I love that word. I haven't heard it in awhile. *makes me giggle*

    Lyrics? Hmmm...probably many.

    I am sure there were a few of Elton Johns songs along the way.

    *hugs*

    mo

    ReplyDelete
  4. Too funny. There are still some lyrics I'm unsure of. And some I know and still don't understand - LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of my younger sons thought "Bernadette" by the four tops was "Burned to Death." Kinda scary, right? (It let us know that his older brother was exposing him too much to heavy metal music.)

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG, for years, I collected those misunderstood lyrics in my head. My head is much older now, but let me see if I can remember some:
    *Stayin' Alive (BeeGees) - an NYC co-worker thought it was Standin' In Line (that's an NYC response, for sure)
    *Kind of a Drag" (artist?) - someone I knew thought it was Canada Dry
    *a line from "Rock the Boat" was "tell me where you got the notion" - a friend thought it was "tell me where you got the nose job"
    "Angie" (the Stones) - I thought it was "I Ain't Jealous"
    ... Oh dear, now I'm thinking too hard, and so of course I can't remember the others. I may be back later...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Pat! Thanks for stopping. I know, isn't it funny to think back to those days?

    Linda, that's funny. I remember that song so well, too, because I couldn't tell whatsoever WHAT they were singing that entire sentence!!

    Hi Mo! Glad you like discombobulated. That really is a wonderful word to say out loud! And describes me most times!! To this day I can't understand some of Elton's songs!

    Hi Carol...yep, that's me!

    Sue, OMG that is hilarious and awful, both!! LOL

    Katie, Double OMG!! You had me ROFL with the Rock the Boat line!! Ha! Keep 'em coming!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely. Spanish was my first language and now I realize how many old songs I mutilated, thinking I was singing the right lyrics. Your post is funny. It tickled memories.

    ReplyDelete
  9. HA! I can't remember what I called the cosmic thing either now! :D

    A friend of mine thought the Neil Diamond song "Forever in Blue Jeans" was "Reverend Blue Jeans."

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Myrna! Thanks for stopping by. I'm happy I could provide some fun memories for you!

    Hey Daisy! Too funny that you don't remember it, either! I'll come across it again someday.YOU WON'T BELIEVE THIS, BUT I ALMOST ADDED AN ADDITIONAL PARAGRAPH TO THIS POST, ABOUT HOW I ALWAYS THOUGHT NEIL DIAMOND'S "FOREVER IN BLUE JEANS" WAS "REVEREND BLUE JEANS!!" NO KIDDING!! So, there's at least 2 of us in the world!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your nephew Ryan thought Aretha was singing "Chain of Food". Boy, did his sister straighten him out!
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  12. HAHA! Becky, that is so funny. It was a girl I knew in college who thought that. We teased her about it all the time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Alice! Oh, that is so funny about Ryan!! And the "food" part fits him so well! I'm sure his sister loved to tell him how wrong he was!! Thanks for sharing!! :)

    Daisy, well at least there's 2 of us!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey everyone - The Ronald told me one of his: The song, "Judy in Disguise", he thought was Judy in the Sky! (I think that was another one of mine, too!)

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.