Saturday, October 22, 2011

* Autumn Bliss *

I posted this picture of my fireplace and mantel last October. Since I decorated it pretty much the same way this year, I thought it would be okay to share it again!


About a year ago, I began to find a different picture/painting to put over the mantel, for the four different seasons. Until then, I kept the same one for years, until I got tired of it, or decided to switch back and forth with a large mirror. Because I found very inexpensive framed pictures, it's been really affordable to do. And since the size does vary a bit, we don't hang them on the wall, but stand them on the mantel, leaning against the wall (with a hook thingy so it won't fall off!)

Right now, I have candles and autumn decor inside the fireplace, until it's time for wooden logs and fires! I just love having a fireplace. It was always one of the top things in my Home Wish List. The Ronald and I take turns stacking the logs and lighting the fire, and I do all the clean-up. THAT'S how much I love being near a crackling, glowing fire.

We never had a fireplace when I was a child and I always longed for one. They just represented "Home" to me. Most likely I got that idea from living in the world of TV and movies......Ah, but that's another post for another day.


"Listen! the wind is rising, and the air is wild with leaves, we have had our summer evenings, now for October eves!" - Humbert Wolfe

13 comments:

  1. Hi Becky! I love a log fire as well. We have a fireplace in our home and last year I learnt to light the fire by myself, for the first time ever. I can't tell you how chuffed I was! Hee Hee! I love how my American bloggy friends decorate their homes for halloween and autumn. You have certainly given me an idea, and I am going to remove my firescreen and put some cut out pumpkins and candles in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've even seen decor shows where they put a mirror in with the candles inside the fireplace, to give even more light.

    I grew up with a fireplace in our family room, and on rainy weekend days in the fall and winter, we'd spread a blanket on the floor in front of the fireplace and have a picnic---we'd roast hot dogs, make s'mores, and have a wonderful time.

    It's almost fireplace time...Enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks pretty, Becky. Looks like you're all ready for fall. Simple pleasures really are the best ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Driving home last night, we could smell a wood fire - and it made me long for my old fireplace.

    Maybe someday, I'll have one again, and be able to sit by the fire and be mesmerized by the flames and crackling logs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love a fireplace, and having a fire when the air is crisp. Hmm, maybe tonight, since we've been having frost filled evenings lately. Happy fall - stay warm and toasty!

    Have a great weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks great! I always like resting pictures against a wall, too. It looks cool!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky, it is very pretty!

    We don't have a fireplace at this house, and I sure do miss having one.

    Have a great weekend,

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ditto here, no fireplace as a child. So mesmerized by the warmth & beauty of a cozy fire. I even have 'just mantles' in several rooms in my house for the ambiance it brings to the decor.

    Your touches are just lovely, Becky.

    Have a beautiful weekend.
    TTFN ~
    Hugs,
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the fireplace and the mantel. I love the painting. When we lived in Ore. I loved to have a huge fire, now in the desert, not one in sight. lol

    I am thrilled you will be joining the Cloche Party. You can most definitely use one from last year. I know we would all love to see it. Thanks. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love fall decorations the best! I love your picture above the mantle, too. And I EXTRA LOVE the idea of changing it out for every season! I may just have to steal that idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice. We have a fireplace with gas logs. I love them because there's no wood to haul, fire to build, or mess to clean up. But we still have the same great atmosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Aloha Becky,
    I too did not grow up with a fireplace in any of our houses. Hello, I live in Hawaii where the temp. never dips below 50 unles you live on the "Big Island" where we do have snow. I've always wanted a fireplace too, so when I started visiting my husband's family on the continent, they would always light the fireplace for me. I always felt like curling up the fire to read and sip hot tea or cocoa.
    Thanks for reminding me of those warm and fuzzy moments.
    Stay warm---

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lovely! I've thought about redecorating for the seasons, but usually I just put a few things out to celebrate the change from one to the other. I have a friend who changes everything but the furniture---curtains, bedspreads, pictures, etc. I don't have the time or money for that, but her home is always perfect for the season. Looks like yours is, too!

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.