Saturday, February 18, 2012

Searching for Bliss

A few days ago I wrote the following. Originally it was going to be a "regular" chapter in my memoir but as I typed, the words felt more like a poem to me. It was one of those special moments when the words just flowed. (If this isn't poetry, please forgive me. It's my very first one.)

Untitled


I strolled along the pavement,
the sound of quiet surrounding me
like a quilt. The stillness was deafening
until I heard the engine of a prop plane
flying overhead. Stopping and shading my eyes,
I squint and watch it putter across
the powder blue sky.
Memories flooded my soul,
immediately tugging my mouth
into a wide grin.


The next day I walk the
same path. A distant cardinal chirps,
most likely believing it's already spring.
Why shouldn't he?
These past few days have been nothing
but glorious.
Only the calendar page declares
it's just early February.
I turn, looking for his brilliant crimson color
among the vast bare branches
but my eyes cannot find him.


I notice the sky is full of "airplane smoke,"
those cloud-like wispy lines also
carry memories for the child within me.
I close my eyes, and for a moment
I'm standing motionless in my front yard again.
I stare up, marveling at the sight above,
taking it all in and thinking as profoundly as
a five-year-old possibly can.


Blinking, I become aware of
my present surroundings and
begin my journey
back home.
Tomorrow. Maybe tomorrow
I'll think back and
reminisce once more.
Sentimental journeys.
Always bittersweet.

©2012 Becky Povich



23 comments:

  1. Sure reads like a poem to me!

    You painted a clear picture, Becky.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Becky, I loved this. Some say there is a poet in all of us. You captured this moment so well, I felt I was with you on your meditative journey.

    Well done Becky. I hope you treat us to more.

    My Saturday is now happier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful poem! You captured your feelings perfectly.

    ReplyDelete
  4. lovely images and memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just beautiful. I'm not big on formality and writing protocols (I guess there must be some)- it doesn't matter what you call it when it's this good. Anything which has the capacity to take the reader on a journey and make them feel like they were with the author at that specific time - is special. Thank you so much for sharing. I look forward to the ones you have in store for us.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Felt like I was stanfdning there too! This is called free verse. It's fun, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's a beautiful piece of writing, poem or not. I've been thinking about sentimental journeys today, so this is especially meaningful to me.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very nice, Becky! :) I like the way you decided to end it. I also like the word crimson for some reason. It just really stood out to me. :) Thanks for sending me the link.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, this is just interesting indeed. Would love to read a little more of this. Nice post. Thanks for the heads-up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Anonymous ~ Please stop back and leave your name, please! OK?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just lovely. And you seem to have triggered memories of those days in a lot of us - which has to be a success.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice job. Sometimes our writing takes us where IT wants to go instead of walking on our own leash!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful, Becky! I especially love the feel of the last two lines. You've painted such a lovely picture for us, but the poem still has that friendly, approachable quality that is the hallmark of your writing. What a wonderful way to start my Sunday! Thank you! Teri

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is definitely poetry, Becky. On a lighter note, I think that all the medication I am on for my back is making me goofy. When I read the word "cardinal," all I could see was the Catholic one. It was quite a ridiculous sight.

    And as for the beach vacation, we could crash at JJ's place in St. Augustine. He and his wife are lots of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is indeed a poem, Becky, and a wonderful one that takes me there with you! Thoughtful, perfect and yes -- that cardinal should sing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautifully captured and felt like I was on the journey with you :).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautifully written. You need to name it.

    Joyce
    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  18. Becky ... this reads so visually ... poem or what ever, it took me on a trip with you ... I loved every bit of it and i could totally relate and enjoy!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great way to start out your poetry career! I love the visuals you describe and like the idea of a five-year old having deep thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Bittersweet always. Sweet because we were happy and we remember with love. Bitter because they are no more. What a wonderful poem that perfectly captures those feelings - those moments when we stop and are RIGHT BACK THERE. And then we are not. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. That was nice Becky. Great job. Keep on writing.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really liked this poem, Becky, great job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. "Quiet surrounding me like a quilt." A wonderfully evocative (poetic) image. A prop plane "puttering." I love this verb. "A distant cardinal chirps." I can hear this.

    Yes, sentimental journey are often "bittersweet."

    The words DO flow, Becky. There are a lot of poetic elements here. Very nice!

    I'm so sorry, Becky, that I didn't get over here sooner. I have had a horrible week. I lost my daughter's aide on Tuesday. Had to fire her. Very difficult for Jen, but we're both now doing well. Just have to find another aide!

    I hope you have a wonderful week off from blogging!
    Ann Best, Memoir Author of In the Mirror & Imprisoned

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.