Friday, February 28, 2014

* MULTIFARIOUS MORSELS *

Ah yes, it's another fun day in my Midwestern household. It's bright and sunny, which I'm very happy to see as I look out my large window, although I know it's cold. At the moment, Vern is snoozing on the day bed next to my small kitchen table which has been my fill-in desk until I can get the one I really want. More about that another time....
 
 
There's been a bunch of workers outside since about 7:00 am this morning, trimming trees, with chain saws and making a lot of loud noise. I can't see them from where I'm sitting, but I certainly can hear them. Anyway.....just a few minutes ago, Vern and I both heard a
Huge Ka-Boom!
 
and felt the house shake! That's when I jumped up and looked out and realized they're not only "trimming," they are sawing down a tree or two. The BOOM was obviously when a large trunk slammed onto the ground! Did I mention we live in an area with lots of OLD trees? I just love it in the summer because there is so much shade. I do know, though, that the two they took down were in bad shape.

 
By the time it occurred to me to grab my camera, the huge trunk had been sawed into smaller pieces, and transported away, until there was just the stump. That, too, was dug out and removed.

 ~~~
 
Well, it's now hours later since I started this blog post. Life happens! So, now onto a different subject...
 
Yesterday I spent more time in my car than usual, and most was while driving on highways. Whoa! Look out! I usually remember to bring along some CDs to listen to, but I forgot. There's a surprise. I switched around radio stations, trying to find the right music to "drive to." I came across "Evil Woman" by Electric Light Orchestra (ELO) and immediately drove a teeny bit faster. J That reminded me that I should put together my list of Top Ten Songs For Fast Driving (which I'll have to really put some thought into!) The only other one I could think of at that time was "Lake Shore Drive," by Aliotta, Haynes, Jeremiah. There's nothing like a hot, sunny day, speeding down the highway, and blasting that song from my car's speakers! I still love it, and I wonder what much younger drivers think when they see this little old lady behaving like a 20-something! LOL         
What about you? What are some of your favorite "driving songs"?       
~~~
 
Now for more exciting news.....  A BIG winter storm, Titan, is supposed to drop snow, sleet, and possibly some freezing rain, beginning sometime tomorrow, and lasting through this coming Monday. Where I live is in the 5" to 8" range. Will winter ever end? Will warmer/hot temperatures ever return?? Can most of us take any more of this?? Accckkkkk!
~~~
 
** Welcome to my newest follower, Julie at Empty Nest Insider. I hope you will stop by often and always enjoy what you read and see! Thank you so much! **





"When Chekhov saw the long winter, he saw a winter bleak and dark and bereft of hope. Yet we know that winter is just another step in the cycle of life. But standing here among the people of Punxsutawney and basking in the warmth of their hearths and hearts, I couldn't imagine a better fate than a long and lustrous winter." -- Phil Connors (movie Groundhog Day, with Bill Murray)

30 comments:

  1. I really liked that movie...but the horror of reliving one day over and over......yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Song: Sic "Em on a Chicken by Zac Brown Band.
    Weather: Is trying to destroy my sanity!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I love Zac Brown! I've probably heard that song, but don't know it. We need his "toes in the sand" music right now, don't we?? And this weather is trying to destroy my sanity, too, Claudia. Hang in there!

      Delete
  3. I have a tendency to drive faster when my music is loud and wonderful too. Do you think a police officer would buy my Aerosmith's fault plea?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's funny, Elizabeth! I think you should give it a try if you ever get stopped! I, too, like Aerosmith!

      Delete
  4. Oh Becky, this HAS been a long and hard winter. We are in a deep freeze right now but at least the sun shone brightly today.

    When I drive, I usually listen to cds by Vince Gil, Kathy Mateo, Josh Groban or El Divo. All faves of mine.

    Take care and stay warm. Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan ~ Yes, we are all going to be SO HAPPY when spring finally arrives! I like all those that you mentioned, but they wouldn't give me the old "lead foot"! :)

      Delete
  5. I have lots of favorite driving songs, but "Highway to Hell" is not among them. Nor is "If You Want Blood (You've Got It)." Yeah. Best to stay away from AC/DC while driving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Val ~ I actually met AC/DC many, many years ago....1986 maybe. They were sitting in the St. Louis airport, waiting for their flight! I always liked the shorter guy....was he Angus? I don't remember!

      Delete
  6. I don't drive here in Tanzania, Becky *sob* and back home in SA I don't seem to get much opportunity to drive our large SUV either! I love that Vern stays so close to you: like Ginger who sleeps on "his" office chair next to mine at my desk! Have a great day. Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jo ~ That's right. I'd forgotten about you not driving much. You're usually the gal on the back of the motorcycle, aren't you?! :)
      Yes, I love Vern to be nearby, too. He is so funny...just like a child most of the time. When Ron's home, he wants all three of us to be together in the living room! TRUE!

      Delete
  7. We heard Titan was coming. Stay safe and warm and hopefully as the trees have been felled and trimmed things should be OK. Have a super Saturday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Molly The Wally! Yes, we are safe and warm and hopefully this storm won't bring too much ice that would definitely damage trees, and electric wires. Thanks for stopping by and wishing you a super Sunday!

      Delete
  8. Snow is a four letter word this winter. I rock out to old time rock and roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right about that, Linda! I love old time rock and roll, too! MANY of those songs are good "driving songs!"

      Delete
  9. We are just having a continuing heat wave so guess we'd welcome a snow storm here in Perth. It's sad to see old trees being removed but I guess it has to happen sometimes when they just grow too old. Hopefully more will be planted to replace them so you will once again have the welcome shade when needed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mimsie ~ It's really strange to think about the weather being so different all over our earth, isn't it? And the funniest thing is that most of us are never happy with what we have! LOL.... I'm always complaining in the summer when it's TOO hot and TOO humid, too! Hope you will have some cooler temps to enjoy!

      Delete
  10. A song that makes my car travel (way) too fast is Radar Love. Also gotta love Green Onions for your nostalgic driving pleasure.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat ~ That's another good one, and I'm SO GLAD you mentioned Green Onions! I LOVE that....and talk about nostalgia! That always brings back fond memories to me.

      Delete
  11. Thanks for visiting my blog, A Bench with a View, and your kind comment. I think my favorite driving song would be "Low Rider". Whenever I hear of it, I think of the movie Gone in 60 Seconds with Nicholas Cage. It must have been impressive to watch and see the progress of the trees being taken down.

    May today be a good one!

    betty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Betty! Well, gosh you are very welcome, and thank YOU for stopping and commenting! That's interesting about that song, because I like Lew Rider, too, but I never saw that movie.....why, I don't know, because I like Nicholas Cage!

      Delete
  12. I usually listen to the Christian Station, but have been rocking out to "Get Lucky" by Daft Punk, and "The Royals" by Lorde, two young emerging artists. Cutting down trees makes me sad. I'm a tree hugger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheree! Thanks so much for stopping by! You haven't visited in such a long time!! I don't know those groups, so can't say anything about them. Sorry! I love trees, too, but when they're dying...that's not good, either.
      Hope you stay warm!

      Delete
  13. BECKY-O! ~

    Back in the Summer of 2010, some of us participated in a blogfest titled 'YOUR TEN FAVORITE DRINKIN' 'N' DRIVIN' SONGS'. Following are my 10 selected driving songs (and they haven't changed in the years since then)...

    CRUISE CONTROL:

    “Are You Going With Me?”
    The Pat Metheny Group

    “Green Onions”
    Booker T And The MGs

    “Low Rider"
    War

    PEDAL TO THE METAL:

    “Born To Be Wild”
    Steppenwolf

    “China Grove”
    The Doobie Brothers

    “Peace Frog”
    The Doors

    “Radar Love”
    Golden Earring

    “Runnin’ Down A Dream”
    Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers

    “T For Texas”
    Lynyrd Skynyrd

    “Train Kept A-Rollin’”
    Aerosmith

    ~ D-FensDogg
    ‘Loyal American Underground’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the URL for that blog bit:

      http://stephentmccarthysstuffs.blogspot.com/2010/06/10-favorite-drinkin-drivin-songs.html

      ~ D-FensDogg
      'Loyal American Underground'

      Delete
  14. I want to kiss your doggy's nose. So cute. I remember my dad cutting down big shade trees in our lovely back yard. They had grown old and too close to the house for safety. But how sad it was when our shady yard was suddenly barren. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, Julie ~~ I apologize, I missed your comment, and the one below you from Faith Hope Cherrytea! I know what you mean about Vern's nose! He is the sweetest dog, and he gets lots of kisses! And yes, I hate to see trees cut down too, unless they really have to!

      Delete
  15. Anything by THIRD DAY is def a driving song!
    and CCR another...
    Love driving. Love having weather to drive. Dreaming of them both at the moment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi FHC! I apologize to you, too, for missing these last two comments. I LOVE CCR, too! And I need to go listen to some Third Day before I can make a decision on that!! LOL

      Delete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.