Friday, March 20, 2015

* FOLLOWING MY BLISS *

The past few days have been stressful and tiring, and yet also joyful and exhilarating. I guess that's "normal" when moving to a new home, especially when downsizing. 



How much can I throw away? What can be given to Goodwill? What do I absolutely have to take with me? Within a week, though, The Ronald and I (and Vern, of course!) will be living in our delightful, little condo, beginning a new adventure. Life never fails to surprise me.
~~~
 
As Vern and I strolled along during one of our walks yesterday, he with his nose down, sniffing and zig-zagging,
 
 
I thought about the direction my writing is headed. Although I'm definitely working on the sequel to my memoir, it's been slow going, and I'll be putting it on the back burner for a while. I want to focus on a different idea that keeps coming back to me:
 
 
a humorous and hopefully laugh-out-loud funny book about men: how they drive us crazy, the idiotic things they sometimes say and/or do, etc. The title will be Men Ought to Be a Four-Letter Word. (which is also one of the chapters in my memoir, inspired by The Ronald!)
 
I'm not sure where this particular road will take me, but my writing is about the journey, and I have to follow my bliss. (The following words are extremely meaningful to me. Thank you again, Robin Theiss.)
 
one of my favorite walking trails (2009)
 
"Follow your bliss.
If you do follow your bliss,
you put yourself on a kind of track
that has been there all the while waiting for you,
and the life you ought to be living
is the one you are living.
When you can see that,
you begin to meet people
who are in the field of your bliss,
and they open the doors to you.
I say, follow your bliss and don't be afraid,
and doors will open
where you didn't know they were going to be.
If you follow your bliss,
doors will open for you that wouldn't have opened for anyone else." - Joseph Campbell
 
 
 
* I would love to know everyone's thoughts and/or advice. Please leave comments! *
 
 


19 comments:

  1. This is so inspiring!
    New post: http://dimplekhadi.blogspot.com/2015/03/prom-dresses-with-promtimescouk.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm always thrilled to find out when I've inspired someone!

      Delete
  2. Best wishes Becky on your new venture and hope you settle in soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, thank you so much for your well wishes. And yes, after the "move in," then begins the "settling in!"

      Delete
  3. I like the idea of yours for a book...about men and their idiosyncrasies that certainly at times drive us crazy but can sometimes make us laugh out loud, both with them and against them.
    Perhaps you could come up with a suitable four letter word in place of men. Food for thought there.
    I so admire the way people can put words together and make them so enjoyable. My mother's memoirs were good to read and there was some humour there but also some not so good times as well. I have been enjoying re-reading and posting it on my blog over recent weeks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mimsie, for all your thoughts and suggestions! Your idea about choosing a different 4-letter word for men really gives me food for thought. Thank you! You're so fortunate to have your mother's memoirs. I will try to get over to your blog sometime soon and read your posts.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations on the condo and on ridding yourself of 'stuff'. Hope the three of you are very comfortable in your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you are settling in and congratulations! I love that Campbell quote -- you usually just see the "Follow Your Bliss" line. Maybe your next book is about moving!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think writing about men is a wonderful idea. I'm so glad you're happy about your move. It's exhausting but soon you'll be settled in, enjoying the place and the views and your new writing space. So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the title for your new book! Great idea! Downsizing and moving are intense feats of strength! "Follow Your Bliss", what a great sign to hang in your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on the condo. I love that you are seeing the joy as well as the fatigue.
    And how I love that your writing muse is still making her presence felt.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Men...the lords of the jungle, kings of their castles...they prowl the halls of finance, inhabit the boardrooms of major companies, pull the strings of power in our capitals.....BUT...to a man........They occasionally need to be reminded to zip up their flies, have no understanding of the rules regarding empty toilet paper rolls, can stand for hours in front of open cupboards unable to find what is right before their eyes and fail to recognize the importance of clipping protruding nose hair.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good luck with the rest of the move. I know how exhausting it is! Take it one project at a time and you will be able to do it. :) You are following your bliss, which is awesome! Yeah for you! Everything will come together. :)
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you feel strongly about something, I say DO IT. I love that Campbell quote. It is so true. Ann

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think when a new idea pulls you in and generates excitement, you simply have to go with it.

    Good luck with the move, and with your new project.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, just thinking what's in my attics after almost 30 years in my home scares me. More power to you, Becky. Thanks for sharing Joseph's words. Good luck with your new project and the move.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds like a fun (and funny!) project. Good luck with it…and the move.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations on your new place, Becky. I know what you mean about moving; it's very tiring. Hoping things will settle down soon. As to the new project, I think you should always follow your bliss -- and your heart. Whichever path you take, you just have to believe it's the right one!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well, hello! I was thinking of you last night, because of all the storms. I am just getting back into blogging this week. I can't wait to see pics of your new home!

    Hugs,
    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.