Friday, January 8, 2016

* A NEW YEAR AND A NEW WORD FOR THE YEAR? *

I've read a few blog and Facebook posts recently where people are sharing their "word" for the year. You know, words like positive, love, peace, etc. (and please, if any of you have chosen and written about any of those words, I swear I either didn't even see your post, or I don't remember, because I'm definitely not writing with anyone in mind!)

I made the decision years ago not to make New Year's Resolutions any longer. I just wasn't any good at keeping them, no matter how simple they were, and all that ever happened was that I felt like a failure. Not a good way to start a new year...or even a new day!

And as a result of that, I choose to continue living my life the way I have for a long, long time. It's about being grateful for all the little things. It's about choosing to be optimistic and happy. And to continue, no matter how slowly it goes, to accomplish those tasks and goals ahead of me.

~~~

"One of the things I learned the hard way was that it doesn't pay to get discouraged. Keeping busy and making optimism a way of life can restore your faith in yourself." - Lucile Ball

9 comments:

  1. I don't do the resolution thing either. I fail often enough without setting myself up for more.
    It works, and works well for some people, and all power to them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A word for the year?? That's new to me, I've never heard of such a thing before. How about "still alive".
    I don't do resolutions either, until this year when I hit upon one I could actually keep. I resolve to get older.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your approach is fine, Becky. Resolutions have never worked greatly for me...a word might...but in the end a new day is my new year as it is all a fresh beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have two words for this year....mindfulness and minimizing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. BECKY-O! ~
    I have six words for the new year, but they all fit very comfortably in a single six-pack. The word, of course, is "beer".

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like Lucy's advice. I'm also with you on not making resolutions. I have chosen a word or two words for the last 3 years but didn't this year. I haven't found it added anything to my year though I still have some loosely fashioned goals each year. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I totally agree though I did pick a word. One popped into my head and wouldn't go away, so what else could I do? The word is: Persevere!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh man. I totally agree. I don't do resolution for the same reason. Words to live by is a good compromise, though - gratitude, patience, courage, balance . . .

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't do specific resolutions, but I do like to sort of make a plan for the year.

    Hope 2016 treats you well!

    =)

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.