Saturday, September 23, 2017

* A Prayer or Two *

Below is a post from my blog on October 4, 2011.
Doesn't seem possible that it's been SIX YEARS ago!
 
I was going to attach You Tube videos for both songs, so you could hear the beautiful music and lyrics, which have been haunting me again lately.....but unbelievably I could not find either by ANY singer that I liked enough to post! If you know of some, please let me know.

~~~

When most people think of the The Beatles, I doubt if "prayerful music" comes to mind. We all have our favorite songs of theirs, ranging from the very first pop/rock tunes until the final more contemplative recordings.

Somewhere in my past....maybe 15 or 20 years ago....(That would now be 20 - 25 years ago) two of those songs became prayer-like to me. The music and lyrics would pop into my mind, just when I needed them. I'd either sing out loud or only "in my head," depending on whether I was alone or not.

Those two songs are:

The Long and Winding Road
Let it Be




I've read various so-called explanations about the lyrics of these songs, and it doesn't matter to me what the "real" meaning is or isn't. I know what they mean to me and that's all that counts.

What about you? Do you have certain "prayerful" songs that aren't considered hymns?


P.S. After posting this, I decided to change my blog title and description. Now it says who I am at this stage in my life. I like it! How about you?


"There is nothing in the world so much like prayer as music is." ~William P. Merrill

12 comments:

  1. How I love that you have found personal meaning in the Beatles work... I suspect they would too.
    Eleanor Rigby always yanks on my heart strings. And reminds me just how many people are left on the outer...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet Sue! Thank you! Yes, I've found deep meanings in many of their songs; some when they first came out, and others as I got older. Eleanor Rigby is definitely a haunting melody and lyric.

      Delete
  2. I know what you mean, Becky. Lean on Me is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Linda! Lean on Me is another good one!

      Delete
  3. I was going to say there isn't a single prayerful thought in my head, but then there's that song, "Let there be peace on Earth and let it begin with me" and I don't even remember anymore of it than that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, River...I LOVE that song! I wrote about that somewhere not too long ago. Maybe here on my blog...or on Facebook. The rare times that song would be played and sung at my church, I wouldn't be able to sing along because I would get so emotional and the tears would roll....

      Delete
  4. Bridge Over Troubled Waters (Simon and Garfunkel), I'll Be Your Friend (Carole King), Wind Beneath My Wings (Bette Midler), He Ain't Heavy, He's My Brother (The Hollies), Morning Has Broken (Cat Stevens) and so very many more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, OSC, I love your list! All of those are also favorites of mine. Many years ago, I worked in a small office with a young woman near my age and when "He Ain't Heavy" came on the radio one day, she said she didn't understand what that song meant. "What does it mean? He ain't heavy, he's my brother?" I knew what I wanted to say, how to explain it, but I don't know if I did very good or not, because I think she still had the same look on her face after I quit talking! LOL

      Delete
  5. Great minds, Becky! Not only are these are two of my all-time favorite songs ... I did a similar post way back in 2009! A few excerpts --
    Just in Time …Sinatra
    I’ll Follow The Sun (Son) .. Beatles
    Lift us up where we belong ... from An Officer and a Gentleman
    Save the Last Dance for Me
    Stand by Me
    How do I begin, to tell the story of how great a love can be? ... (Godfather?)
    Happy Heart …..Andy Williams
    Age of Aquarius (Let the SON-shine in)
    and of course, Beach Boys' "Don't Worry Baby" (Every-thing will work out alright)

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, Myra! You are so right! Great minds thinking alike and all that jazz :-)
      And it's obvious we're definitely in the same age group, too! Great songs!

      Delete
  6. I like your new title very much. Meandering is one of my most favourite words.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey River, here it is June 3, 2020 and I don't know if you'll even know I replied here, but I just now saw your comment! So glad you liked (and I guess you still do!) my new title. I also love the word "meandering." Hugs.

      Delete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.