Monday, February 8, 2016

* BOOKS TO RECOMMEND & THOUGHTS ON WRITING *

As usual, time is flying by and I'm behind in so many projects: writing blog posts, commenting on others' blogs, replying to emails, writing and mailing snail-mail notes and letters, and most importantly writing! I am excited to say, though, that I've been writing quite a bit lately...and most of it is for a piece I'll be submitting somewhere fairly soon. AND, on top of all that, I've also been reading...a lot! Three books in about three weeks time, which is an amazing feat for me!

That may not sound very amazing to most voracious readers, but it's been years (except for a couple of books here and there) since I've come across a book(s) that I just couldn't put down! Thinking about those last three books makes me smile not only because I liked them so much, but also because I found them quite by accident at Dollar Tree! (One of my favorite stores! You can't go wrong paying one dollar for a book, sometimes hardcovers. If I don't care for it, I take it to Goodwill.)

The first one I read: The Borrower, by Rebecca Makkai.  Loved it!
A librarian, a highly intelligent young boy whose parents are attempting to "change" him, a kidnapping.....Yes, it has its fallacies, as some reviewers point out, but it's FICTION, and I just could not put it down!

The second one was: You Belong to Me, by Marisa de los Santos. Liked it a lot!
Interesting look at suburbia upper class, marriages, friendships, with twists and turns.

The third was: A Beautiful Blue Death, by Charles Finch. Loved it! I can almost use the word "never" when I say I never read mysteries, but this grabbed me right from the beginning, and what shocks me the most is that it's a period piece (again, not my cup of tea...so to speak!) set in England in 1865! I loved the main character and descriptions of the era, etc. It had me guessing "whodunnit" all the way.

~~~~~

I learned a long time ago that if you want to be a good writer, you also have to read a lot, and not just in the genre you prefer. Following are two quotes I came across just last night from an author, writing coach, motivational speaker, and secret ghostwriter: Roz Morris  https://rozmorris.wordpress.com/2010/07/25/hello-world/

"If they don’t read, how can they write? My impulse to write comes from reading. Once I’ve been in the grip of a good book, it gets me to go and write my own." - Roz Morris

"Reading—the good and the bad—inspires you. It develops your palate for all the tricks that writers have invented over the years. You can learn from textbooks about the writing craft, but there’s no substitute for discovering for yourself how a writer pulls off a trick. Then that becomes part of your experience." - Roz Morris

So, reading and writing, writing and reading...they go hand in hand. Although I've been moving at a very slow pace on both until now, I feel I've escaped from under the cloak of excuses:
"I don't have the time" to read or write.
 I'm having "writers block."
"I can't find anything to read that I like."
"Etc!


Have a blissful week, wherever you are! Sing like no one is listening...I do that all the time! Maybe I'll try karaoke at the local bar one of these evenings! hee hee

14 comments:

  1. Lovely to see you posting, even better to hear you are writing. Yay you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sue! I kinda thought you'd post a comment like this! You're so sweet!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you found some good escape entertainment!!! Love the friends I meet in books...well, most of the time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bookie!! Great to see your comment! And that's funny....yeah, I usually love the friends I meet in books! ;)

      Delete
  3. I haven't been reading much at all and I'm not writing anything but blog posts either. I just don't seem to have the time. Because it's hot here, I'm napping a lot; between that and housework, things that must be done away from home, then reading all the blogs on my list and leaving comments, the day just disappears. I'm even forgetting to cook dinner until it's almost too late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River! It's always so strange to me, thinking of my friends "down under" having the opposite weather than I'm having! I've been napping a lot, too, but because it's so cold and there's nothing to do outside! :) I DO have my days with lots of energy, but they are fewer than my tired days. You'll get back to reading and writing when the time is right for you! Take care and don't wear yourself out!

      Delete
  4. I agree that reading is a must. It teaches the cadences of language. Thanks for the book tips! I haven't ready any of them.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue! Thanks! And talk about the beauty of words. ..I love your phrase "cadences of language." Beautiful!

      Delete
  5. I am finishing up the book, "A Man Called Ove". It is a quick, humorous, and compelling novel about a crotchety old man. Apparently it was a blockbuster in Sweden and has been translated and released in many other countries. Highly recommend!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Pat! I had just read about this book when you left your comment! I don't remember where, though. Either Goodreads on Amazon, though. It sounds like one I'd like for sure! Thanks!

      Delete
  6. Hi Becky! Just came across you at river's blogroll. I agree with the reading. I take the Goodreads challenge every year--in 2015 I read 120 books. Hmm. And a great book does inspire me to write more.

    Thanks for the inspiring post. I haven't read any of those three books but glad you enjoyed them.

    Denise :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Denise! Welcome and thank you for leaving such a great comment! Wow...120 books in one year?? You're my hero! :) Thanks for following me, too!

      Delete
  7. As you already know, I love to read, I read recently if you have a blog, read and review books, you are a "professional reader." I didn't know until I read that article I now have a title! Hee, hee! I'm glad you enjoyed your books, I love when I find a book for 0.99 cents. I find a lot of free books on my Kindle and Nook. I find I enjoy my reading much better if I read the genres that I enjoy. I call them "My Comfort Food Reading" I always put Debbie Macomb's books in that category. If I'm trying to decide what to read next, and can't decide, I grab one of her books, and set back and enjoy.

    I received your card a few weeks ago, and read about your busy year of 2015. Thanks for the card and letter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ann ~ I'm glad to know you have a title, too! :) You're a better reader than I am because you read so many books, plus you read out of your favorite genre at times. I tend to stick with what I like...always! :) Oh, and you're very welcome for the card and letter!

      Delete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.