Hello Everyone! It's a brisk 19° this evening, with a wind chill of 4°. We received about 4 inches of snow between last night and early today. It's beautiful and it's windy and it's cold! BUT, am I complaining? No way! You know why? Because I don't live in the part of the country that is trying to dig out of 2 to 3 FEET of snow!! Yowza!
Okay, now on to some information you may actually care to read about:
1) Tiny Lights Essay Contest is still open! Submissions have to be snail-mailed and must be postmarked by February 19th. That's ten days from now, so get your pencils or keyboards going and enter! There's some really good prize money to be won....5 prizes in the standard category and 3 prizes in flashpoint. Click on the link provided and read all the rules.
2) Speaking of Tiny Lights, my wonderful friend, Tammy Goodsell, is included in this month's "Searchlights & Signal Flares". << click on that, then down to Latest Question; "What is a writer's Golden Rule?" Click on that and you'll see Tammy's essay, along with others. She's listed as T'Mara Goodsell. (Or, you can also get there by clicking on the Tiny Lights Logo, almost directly across from this) Congratulations, Tammy, for being published!
3) I've mentioned various books before that have inspired me and helped me along my writing journey. I came across the name of one recently (don't remember where I read about it) that I had buried in my book shelves and somehow had never read! Imagine that?! I dug it out about 3 days ago, when I was going through my major panic attack about my writing ability. It is a scathingly brilliant book!! (that's for you, Cathy C...I think!) The name of it is: "Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing & Life", by Ann Lamott. Many of you may have already read it, because it's not a new book (1995), plus the fact that every writer should buy this book, and read this book, and re-read, and re-read, etc.! It is full of great advice, hilarious anecdotes, and appears as if it was written just for YOU! It has been a huge part of helping me work through my fears and motivate me to WRITE! I can't recommend it enough.
4) And, speaking of Books and Contests... I'll be having another contest to win a book, either the end of this month, or in March. More details to follow!
5) Last, but not least.....Here's another one of my "Twilight Zone" moments that I'd like to share. Yesterday, I was looking for something in my china cabinet and came across a couple of photos I keep in one of the drawers. One is a picture, taken in 1970 of my (now deceased) maternal grandma on her 82nd birthday. (I know all this because it was written on the back of the photo, thank goodness!) She is standing between her dining room table, and her china cabinet. The table is all decked out with a fancy white table cloth, silverware, a crystal punch bowl, coffee pot, etc. I'm so glad that somehow I'm the one who ended up with this particular picture! I brought it upstairs with me to, to pin to my cork board along with a few other old pictures, for additional writing inspiration. I glanced at the back of it one more time before I actually got around to pinning it up today, and read again with a little more awareness, and saw that yesterday, February 8th, was her birthday!!! Do do do doooooo ♪♫♪♪
"Happiness...it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort." --Franklin D. Roosevelt