Sunday, April 17, 2016

* A NOSTALGIC SUNDAY... REPEAT *

It's Time for Another Nostalgic Sunday
 

Hello Everyone ~
This is a complete repost of a Nostalgic Sunday from August 7, 2011. It's so warm and sunny and beautiful outside, and I'm drinking iced tea with my little sweater on it....so I just had to find this and repost it...plus an additional note at the end!
~~~
 

I think I've mentioned more than once that I love iced tea in the summertime.

No matter what cold drink you sip or guzzle in hot weather, the drinking glass (whether it's really glass or plastic, etc.) tends to get tiny droplets of moisture on the outside.

When I was a little girl, in the 1950s, no kitchen was without very important, priceless items, made just for that little inconvenience.......
 
 
Little Terrycloth "Sweaters"!
 
How many of you remember these? You wouldn't believe how time consuming it was to find a set of these in the twenty-first century! I have a set of four: hot pink, pale pink, bright yellow and pale blue.......How I love drinking my iced tea, or Diet soda, from a glass filled with ice cubes.....using my "little terrycloth sweater"!

P.S.  After posting this, I searched online for somewhere to buy these cute little terry cloth covers, and I hit the pay dirt when I wound up on The Vermont Country Store, because they not only have the adorable covers, but also the fabulous, colorful aluminum tumblers of my childhood! These are the drinking glasses we had and used the "sweaters" on!! ☺
 
 
(Both photos courtesy The Vermont Country Store)
 
* Note: In my original post, I forgot to mention that the "sweaters" we had when I was a young girl didn't fit just around the glass, but they also had bottoms to them, so it also acted as coasters! I haven't found any of those, but I also haven't searched since this post! ....and I know it isn't summer yet, but I love the quote below and it so fits today. *
 
 
 
"Summer is the time when one sheds one's tensions with one's clothes, and the right kind of day is jeweled balm for the battered spirit. A few of those days and you can become drunk with the belief that all's right with the world." -- Ada Louise Huxtable

14 comments:

  1. I love looking back at the old days. Is it just me or was life so much simpler then? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those sweaters. Loathe summer.
    All of the other seasons are fine, but NOT the sweaty season.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't remember those cute little sweaters at all, but I do remember the aluminium tumblers.
    I think a good sweater substitute would be a stretchy terry wristband of the sort tennis players wear.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember those bright, colorful aluminum tumblers and I always loved them!

    I don't believe I'd regularly drink from one now though, only because ties have been found linking aluminum to Alzheimer's disease. That's why we don't often see aluminum cooking pots anymore; most are now stainless steel.

    ~ D-FensDogG
    'Loyal American Underground'

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember these glasses and drinking ice tea, water, milk, kool-aid etc out of them. We didn't break these as we did with glass glasses. Many summer days remember drinking ice tea out of these. I know we drank a lot of tea with saccharine tablets (my Dad was a very bad diabetic).

    ReplyDelete
  6. We didn't have the aluminum because Mom preferred Tupperware plastic glasses. The jewel tones of the aluminum are FAR superior!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  7. As you know, I'm 1950s also. And I remember those tumblers! No Tupperware for us as my parents couldn't afford that luxury. I love nostalgia, and will at some point be doing a lot of such pieces on my wordpress site, so keep in touch there. I just sent you an email regarding comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, sweet friend. Long time no communication. I have missed you.

    I'm a 1960's kid, and I definitely remember those aluminum tumblers. I don't remember the sweaters, though. They are definitely an ingenious idea, I think.

    I'm an iced tea gal, no matter whether its summer or winter. It's my "soft drink" of choice year round.

    Hope you are having an awesome spring.

    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  9. So cute! We had little cotton aprons for coke bottles. My grandmother made the aprons from leftover dress fabric, usually plaids and piped them in red.

    I have missed you. Thank you so much for your concern. I talked to Jenny today on the phone and sent you a great big hug. I plan to come back to blogging at some point, but right now, we are still deep into this house project. I pray it is finished soon.

    Love to you, my sweet friend.

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just realized I haven't replied to any of your wonderful comments. I promise I'll be back soon. The last week or so has just been a bit crazier than usual.... AND thank you, Ms Magpie for leaving a comment for me. I'm been SO worried about you!! I send you big hugs back :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't remember those tiny sweaters but I do remember the metal tumblers! I really like the insulated glasses they have today for that very reason.....I don't like a sweaty glass!! Thanks for stopping over.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love iced tea too. But I never did see any of those little terry cloth container covers. I have seen other covers made just to keep your hands from freezing while holding a cold drink. Happy Mother's Day Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I remember the cup sweaters to capture the moisture on the glass. I enjoy a tall glass full of ice and iced tea, fresh lemon and fresh mint leaves from my backyard. The good thing is that you can't kill that mint. The root keeps expanding. Love fresh mint in tea. All the best, Becky!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks to all of you for your comments! I really appreciate them, but just haven't had time to reply individually. My husband Ron had surgery 2 weeks ago and life has been a bit hectic! :) If you're on Facebook, you can read about it on my page, but I will post about it here fairly soon. He is doing good and all is well. Happy dancing...

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.