Sunday, September 25, 2016

* NOSTALGIC SUNDAY *

It's Time for Another Nostalgic Sunday!
 
 

Wow, this is my third Nostalgic Sunday in a row!
Will I be able to keep this up??
 
 
 
I borrowed the below photos from a blog post I wrote on November 18, 2011. Usually when I look back at memories, it doesn't seem like anything was so long ago, but for some reason, this particular memory does seem like it was five years ago...or even more.  
 
I think it's because we've moved twice since we lived in that home. We downsized both times and I've always been happy...or maybe the correct way of saying it would be "I chose to be happy" and "I've always bloomed wherever I've been planted."
 
 
So, why am I posting photos from almost five years ago?! Here is that link: http://beckypovich.blogspot.com/2011/11/i-wonder_18.html#comment-form 
 
Because I made two homemade apple pies this afternoon and everything looked just like these photos! I used the exact same recipe which is so simple, even I can bake great pies! And I love using my apple peeler/slicer/corer thingy, which still works great.
 
 
 
Today, I did use different apples because my local grocery store had some on sale. I used Honey Crisp and Sweet Tango. Yummy! 
(I've always used a variety in one pie: granny smith, gala, braeburn, cortland.)
 
 

I used my go-to pie crust - Pillsbury!
Sprinkle the apple slices with a cinnamon sugar mix.
 
 
 
The topping is flour, sugar, and butter. 
 

And...voila' ! 
 
(When you click on each photo, you can see a LARGE view!)


My husband, Ron, has already eaten almost half of one!
(Good reason to make two at a time!)
I'll be happy to post the recipe if anyone would like to see it.


How about it, everyone? Who likes to bake pies? Do you have a favorite recipe to share? Or do you prefer cakes? Now that the weather is finally cooling a bit, I'm ready to bake homemade bread, which I really haven't done in YEARS!
 


16 comments:

  1. Yum! I'm about to make a pie myself, not today, I'm a little tired from everything else I've done, but I have the apples in the fridge, granny smiths of course, and a container of cream to serve with it. Usually I use pie crust for topping, if I do a crumble mix like you've done, we call it apple crumble, but it's just as yummy. I may make mine on Thursday, then take it with me on Friday when I babysit the grandkids.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mouth is still watering over your apple pie. Did you make it?? Yummy!

      Delete
  2. It does look good.
    I am resembling the Michelin Man so pie is off the menu for the moment. Some day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to stay completely away from any kind of sweets when I'm "dieting" because I've decided I'm a "Sugar-a-holic." Just one bite...and I'm a gonner!

      Delete
  3. What a beautiful pie! I got some apples at the farm stand last week but they are disappointing. I made a Splenda cake and it was disappointing. So guess I will just have to enjoy eating one of the other kind, Honey Crisp, that is in the crisper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, that is too bad about the disappointing desserts. I LOVE Honey Crisp apples, so I certainly hope THAT was a good and tasty treat!

      Delete
  4. Lovely...I can smell the baking apples from here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Those two pies are long gone. Guess it's about time for another one...and I did see apples on sale at a particular store near me. :)

      Delete
  5. I bake at Thanksgiving and Christmas, but I'll eat pies any time!

    Pat
    www.patwahler.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually don't bake much, either, until the holidays, except for box cake mixes...But I think I'm in the groove now!

      Delete
  6. Looks yummy. My apple pie comes from Costco or Sams, and everyone int he family says I make the best apple pie. Smile and nod.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so funny, Linda! I can just see you at those family meals! :)

      Delete
  7. My mouth is watering now and wish I could reach into my screen and grab that pie! Food makes me happy. There. I said it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kathi! Wouldn't it be neat if we had aroma-blogs?? :) And hey, I think food makes just about everyone happy!

      Delete
  8. Delicious! I can smell that from here. And bread? Bread is always a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, I LOVE good bread...and especially my own homemade! I'll be sure and let ya know if I get around to making some!

      Delete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.