Wednesday, August 12, 2009

** THE LIVING YEARS **

There's a song by Mike & The Mechanics called The Living Years that came out in the mid to late 1980's. It's about a guy who's at odds with his dad all the time. When his dad died, he wasn't with him, nor had he gotten around to telling him all the things he had to say..... (good things)

Every time I heard that song, it spoke volumes to me. It was during that same time that I had conflicted feelings about my dad. I wished things were different between us. I wanted to see him, but when I did, it was uncomfortable...for both of us. We didn't know what to talk about. We were strangers. We never reached the kind of relationship I so desperately wanted, but we at least reconnected the last couple of years he was alive. He knew I loved him and I knew he loved me.

The Living Years is on one or more of my playlists....maybe I'll add it to this newest one..... I think both the music and lyrics are beautiful.

Don't wait until it's too late to tell people how much they mean to you. Do it in the living years.

2 comments:

  1. Becky, I don't blog; so you'll have to accept that I might not be doing this properly. However, I read your memory of Parks College in "Parks Today," and thought I'd respond to your request for memories of Jim Lewellen. Your recall of dates is not very good. I attended Parks from 1960-63; and your father was very much alive and teaching there when I attended. He taught my Advanced Engineering Graphics class in '61, and I know he taught Aircraft Structures to the AME class in 61-62. Your dad was an easy-going, patient guy with a perpetual smile. I only had his Graphics class; but friends of mine took his Structures course. It was people like your father and Father Higgins that made Parks bearable. The pollution and surrounding dilapidation were enough to cause ordinary discouragement. While I have mixed feelings about the move to the main campus, a more rational person has to believe it was at least a healthy move. The sacrifices that the profs made by living in Cahokia to help us learn are most appreciated. You were a part of that sacrifice; and I am grateful to as well AND for the memory of your father.
    Jim Raphael, Parks '63 Aero Engrg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jim, thank you very much for contacting me. You said you "don't blog", but you did just fine! As far as the dates, I did err when I didn't mention the very early 1960's. Your comment made me think further on it. I am fairly certain we moved the summer after I finished 2nd grade, which would've been 1961.....But either way, if the years are a little mixed up, it's great to hear from someone like you that has memories of Parks....some not so good maybe...but good for the most part. And especially that has nice memories of my dad! Thank you again. I'd be happy to correspond with you more, if you'd like to e-mail me at: Writergal53@aol.com.

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.