Friday, January 29, 2010

** Day One of the Writer/Retreat **

Good Morning! Brrrr...it is COLD here in Des Moines. Of course, I knew it would be, but somehow it's still always a shock when you actually FEEL it! Temp last night was below zero-something. Temp right now is 4 degrees, with the ever popular "feels like" -8! High for today a whopping 15 with low tonite -5. We are just so grateful that it's dry, though....no snow, sleet, ice...all that lovely precipitation. There are still piles of snow everywhere, from the blizzard that came through about a week ago and with these temps, they won't be melting any time soon.

I say it's Day One today, but we really began last night from 6:30 to 9:00pm. So far, I'm really glad I came. A couple of things were said in the first few minutes of the presentation that were so "coincidental" that I felt as if I was truly meant to be here. More on that later.......

One not-so-good thing: The Hotel. It's clean and convenient.....right next door to the meeting place (another blog about that later, too) but, not the best service and there aren't enough electrical plugs in our room!! We had to unplug a lamp, to plug in my laptop....And we had to move the microwave onto the bathroom sink for a few seconds while I warmed up something to eat! Ewwww!! Oh well.....we aren't complaining....yet!

Okay...Gotta get going. We had a writing assignment last night that I still need to go over! More later!

"We write to taste life twice, in the moment and in retrospection." - Anais Nin

12 comments:

  1. If it makes you feel any better, it's really cold here, too. Hope you enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Becky, for taking time for an early report. When you get a chance, tell us the topic you had to write on first night, I am curious. Have a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brrr! Hope you packed lots of sweaters :)

    Good luck with the retreat and dealing with the hotel. Crawling around looking for outlets is never fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got there and it's going well so far!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope you stay warm, Becky. That's too bad that the hotel isn't what you had expected. Maybe the retreat will make up for it. I like that quote you finished with. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Pat! Thanks. I know I can't complain too terribly with it being cold so many places! And No New Snow here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Claudia, thanks for such a thoughtful comment! I'll be telling more about the first assignment and so on in my new blog post this evening...Saturday night!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Janel! Your comment made my laugh! And guess what? My husband "nicely" complained on Friday morning, after I went to the retreat and we got a different room!! AND it has plenty of plugs! This is a nice place, but let's just say it's kind of like..."the elevator doesn't go to the top floor"...!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Tam! It's been an awesome experience! I wish I could attend many more of these types of writer retreats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks, Daisy! I thought of you quite a few times the past couple of days....we've even sang some songs and did some "dancing"....!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Becky, Sounds like you had some adventures to write about. Think of all of the articles that might come from this retreat.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks, Linda! Oh yeah...volumes, I would say!! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.