Monday, January 11, 2010

** I Did It....I Did It!! **

Today was the first day I've felt like writing in quite some time. Must have something to do with the weather, dont'cha think? It's actually above freezing today!

Ever since I posted the info about the Erma Bombeck Writing Contest, I've had these thoughts:
1) Gosh, with millions of entries, why should I even bother?
2) I have NO ideas. What can I write about?

Then this morning, I thought:
3) Hey, what about that one essay I started about a year ago? The one with only a few sentences, typed at random?
4) Yeah, I could work on this and maybe it'd be a fairly decent story.

So, that's exactly what I did. I wrote and rewrote and edited, etc....added words, deleted words, etc....Only 450 Word Count Maximum! Thank goodness I'm used to writing "less" because of space allowed in my newspaper column. When I decided it was "as good as it's gonna get".....I filled out all the online info, and hit the "Submit" button! Woo-hoo!! I actually made the deadline on a contest that I really want to win. (Don't we all?!) Good luck and good writing to everyone entering!

"All the great decisions in my life have been made in less than half an hour." -- Carmen Maura

10 comments:

  1. Thank, Pat! I hope all of my blogger, writer friends will enter!! It's wonderful, the great camaraderie we have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Job, Becky! Doesn't it feel good to finish somethng for ourselves, no matter what...although who DOESN'T want to win.I entered too and it is one I fear winning because my KY kids will be miffed about what I wrote!!! A quiet honorable mention might be best on this one!

    Then today I entered the SNOW one...not much chance as mine was not greatly inspiring. Tried a little romance in the snow! It was free and gave me a good 500 word goal.

    After 5 long days under robes and blankets, never sticking our noses out, we saw sun and did errands in warming sunshine today.Felt wonderful. Yes, I think being warm with moving fingers and toes that don't feel welded to a cold floor might help writing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you, Becky! Best of luck to you! I've got a couple of ideas kicking around in my head, but I haven't put anything together yet. I hope that I can get it done. Odds against being chosen is one of the things that becomes a stumbling block for me too. Of course, odds are much higher against you winning if you don't even enter, right? HA! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Claudia! Thanks so much for everything! I know what you mean about certain people maybe not being pleased show up in a writing contest! Oh well....we can't let that stop us! ....Just like Daisy agreed on, too!
    And thanks for mentioning the snow contest! I had forgotten about that one, and am going to work on something for that tomorrow! That's for a fictional story, though, right? Fiction is definitely not my forte! And lastly, Yay! For temps above freezing!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Daisy! I hope you turn those ideas into an essay and send it!! Good luck to us all!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becky,
    That's the spirit! Good luck in the contest.
    Your enthusiasm is contagious; I might enter if I can get my act together.
    And --- I love the quote at the end of your post.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Donna! That quote of Erma's is one of my all time favorites!! Wasn't she fabulous? Actually, she was scathingly brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm late to reading this, but that definitely calls for a Yay.

    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks so much, Walt! It's never to late to leave a comment, especially an encouraging one!

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.