Sunday, January 23, 2011

* Freelance Opportunities *

Yesterday I attended the Patch Freelance Forum that was held in St. Louis County. What a fantastic and unique online news source. One of the things that makes it so unique is that it focuses on communities, small towns. For instance, there is no "Patch St. Louis City". Their belief is that the news media already covers events in large cities, but there is no depth of coverage in the smaller towns.

I was there to learn more about Patch, meet people I already communicated with through e-mail, and hopefully get hired as a freelancer. 2 out of 3 so far! I'll definitely post the news when I get an assignment!

(Click on the link and see if your state and town is currently up and running. If not, it will be sometime in the future. Patch is very new and has only been in my area a few short months.)


By the way....why the name "Patch"? I happened to ask that question yesterday and here's what I was told: Think of where you live as your little patch of land. (See the little clump of grass at the bottom of the "h" in their logo? See?)... Ahhhh, now I get it!

"To me, journalism is, ah, like a hangover. You can read about it for years, but until you've actually experienced it, you have no conception of what it's really like." -- Dr. Hugo Pine, in the 1958 comedy movie, Teacher's Pet, starring Clark Gable and Doris Day (two of my favorite actors!)

15 comments:

  1. I wish I had known about this, Becky!

    I'd have loved to find out about opportunities (even though my little town isn't in the list).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Becky, you will be the gal about town. What do you want to cover? Are you still doing your weekly Adair Press column? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, Becky, I'll check this out. It sounds like something right up my ally. I'm glad that you had fun yesterday, and I can't wait to read what you write about Patch!

    Have a wonderful Sunday,

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  4. My town wasn't on the list, but best of luck to you, Becky. I hope you get hired. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone. Even if you don't see your town listed, there might be one nearby you could contact. It never hurts to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  6. They are in several towns near me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Becky, you're so sweet to post everything that's about writing opportunities. You make my head spin.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Becky, Just stopped in to tell you I love your new Profile pic!

    (I will miss the last one though...It made me giggle knowing you are so outgoing and personable.)

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great resource--both you and Patch! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the info on this. Will check it out. Have a great day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks everybody! I hope many of you have patch.com in your town!

    ReplyDelete
  12. AGAIN... great info and amazing stamina! you go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You are really plugged in Becky. I admire that about you. Once our youngest Grand starts Kindergarten this fall (and I'm suffering from Empty Nest Syndrome, Round 2) I'm going to start searching things like this out!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I do hope you get hired!! Patch is a wonderful name. My little patch. And Clark Gable and Doris Day are two of my favorites as well as my daughter's. Loved the movie Teacher's Pet!!
    I am now going to follow the Patch link to see what it's all about. It sounds fascinating.
    Hope you're having a great week.
    Ann Best, Author

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.