Monday, May 30, 2011

* Memorial Day 2011 *

Quick post for today: I just wanted to say that every Memorial Day I honestly remember why we "celebrate." It used to be known as Decoration Day years ago. That's because it was the day families and friends laid wreaths and other patriotic decorations on loved ones graves....those who died in wars.

During our barbecues, picnics, and parties celebrating the beginning of summer, let's remember why it's possible that we're here today. And although I think it's necessary to remember and thank those who have died (and those hundreds/thousands who have been maimed in wars), I also believe in the quote below:


"Why do we kill people who are killing people to show that killing people is wrong?" -- Holly Near

9 comments:

  1. Lovely share ... may God continue to bless & protect those that continue to fight for our freedoms.

    Have a lovely holiday ~
    TTFN ~
    Marydon

    ReplyDelete
  2. A nice reminder of the reason for the day. God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Becky,

    Thank you for sharing the real reason. My post today is about putting flowers on the graves too.

    I will be happy to make you a card with the book photo; the other one is living with my friend April now.

    Hope your weekend is wonderful!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  4. None of us should ever forget the sacrifices that have been made for us during conflicts all round the globe. A fitting tribute today my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yesterday we had a family BBQ. Today, it's off to the cemetary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like this post and the Holly Near quote! Blessings~Ames

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your day was great, Becky. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post today - thanks for the reminder of why we celebrate! Love that quote too...

    Keep Smiling,
    Vanessa from Optimal Optimist

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.