Sunday, July 10, 2011

* Nostalgic Sundays *

It's time for another Nostalgic Sunday.


Thanks to Toby Speed's blog post of May 19th, "Things I miss about the low-tech life", I've begun writing snail mail letters/note cards again. And, it was the inspiration for my Nostalgic Sundays, too.

When I was a young girl, I had lots of pen-pals. I loved writing and receiving letters. How exciting to open the mail box and find envelopes addressed to me. As an adult, I wrote to my mother, sisters, brother, friends, etc. when I lived out of the state or country. Shopping at a stationery store was one of my favorite things. The boxes themselves were lovely, and then all the varieties of beautiful paper: parchment, onion skin, papyrus, vellum....all with matching or coordinating envelopes. Some women love shoes. Some love purses. I love paper!

The note cards above are the three I've received in the past month or so. The one on the left is obviously a beach scene. Ahhhh, beautiful and restful. The one in the middle is Nurse J. Rosebeetle, a wheelchair and a cliff. It came from a box titled: Neglected Murderesses. (isn't that a hoot?!) And finally the one on the right is a handmade card with tissue/parchment paper art. (And Patti, I couldn't find yours at the moment. I apologize. I will blog about it later, ok?!)

So, on this nostalgic Sunday, if you would like to receive a handwritten note from me, just send me an e-mail with your mailing address, and I will be happy to write one! (my e-mail is on my profile page)

P.S. It didn't occur to me until recently that writing letters WAS writing! Especially since I write personal essays and memoir. So, I guess I have been a writer for many years...and didn't even realize it! And....although I did type this blog post and I do type 99% of my writing...I believe I can handle both centuries!

** Also welcome to my newest followers: septembermom and Jo W. I hope you'll stop by often and always enjoy what you read and see! Thank you!

“I can envision a small cottage somewhere, with a lot of writing paper, and a dog, and a fireplace and maybe enough money to give myself some Irish coffee now and then and entertain my two friends.” --

Lt Richard Van de Geer

21 comments:

  1. stationery, a pen, your thoughts, there's something to that! Now I must go write instead a of tyope a letter to my best friend who has dementia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and remember D-Liver, D-Letter, D-Sooner, D-Better?? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Becky,
    Great idea.

    .

    I included a note with a book order form just this morning to a writing friend and included a photo of her I took years ago. I put the photo so that would be the first thing she would see when she opened the letter.

    And I do remember D-Liver, D-Letter, D-Sooner, D-Better

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  4. An old friend and I write letters to each other. I love receiving her mail. We refrain from emails because we both enjoy the art of the spontaneous written word.

    I love paper too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that Van de Geer quote! I too long for a tech-reduced life, especially since I've been doing this twitter thing. My secret wish is to become so successful that I don't have to bother with stuff like that. shhh...don't tell on me. I'm always up for a handwritten note, if you would like to send. if you don't still my address, let me know.
    hugs,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love sending handwritten cards and letters. I must admit, though, most of my handwritten things are notecard length, though I will occasionally write long letters.

    I am a firm believer that it's nice to get a beautiful card in the mail in the midst of all the junk and bills. So, I send note cards fairly regularly.


    I like to make my own cards; however, I enjoy purchasing them as well. I recently bought 3 sets of note cards with beach scenes and 1 floral set.

    Blessings,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh i do love paper of all kinds!!! and hand written notes and cards are such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love cards as well, and always enjoy looking out for pretty ones to send to people. As you know, I was lucky enough to get a lovely handwritten notecard from a certain somebody, and it was lovely to receive it! Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You've brought back happy memories of a time when I loved to write and receive hand written cards and letters. Who knows, maybe I will start again ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It's good to know the lost art of letter writing is alive and well here! Most of my correspondence now is via email, but nothing will ever replace the personal touch of a note in the mailbox. It's definitely got that special touch, the words being delivered right to our door.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nothing like fiberous paper with the flourish of a fountain pen sentiment! I miss letters, real letters so much...not getting letters added to the absence certain voices makes for a sad thought.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My friends always said I wrote THE BEST letters, all long-winded and gossipy. Not that I'm one to brag or anything. The best part was knowing that they owed me a letter back, and the joy of finding that envelope in the mailbox. Then I could let that letter lay around a few days, reread it, find something I had glossed over in the first read, and set about answering their questions in a new letter.

    Email is not the same.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you all so much for your lovely comments!

    It's not surprising to me that every comment is about the love of writing and receiving letters! Let's make the old become new again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Sioux! I just knew you'd say that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a great post, I love stationery too and do miss hand-written letters. I was just browsing through the stationery at the bookstore recently and I loved every box I saw!

    Absolutely love the Van de Geer quote!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are so cool, Becky. I had stopped buying notecards because of email - but I'm going to get some now, esp for my mom and aunt who don't do email. My kids gave me an engraved fountain pen for Mother's day and now I CAN induldge in using it for more than jotting manuscript ideas. Thx for the reminder that we needn't give up those personal pleasures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've been busy writing (by hand) letters, so I'm now catching up on blogs! Nothing better than writing a letter by hand, okay, receiving one! I have to write a letter at least once a week to someone I know! It's what I love to do the most!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Julie, Marcia and Lynn....thank you all so much!! Let's all write to each other!! And Lynn, I can attest to the beautiful note cards you make!

    ReplyDelete
  19. You can most certainly handle both centuries, how could you not? ;)

    I'm ashamed to admit I'm still not done with cards and handmade gifts I was supposed to send out earlier this year. Guess it's a good thing I didn't set a public due date and so I still have until the end of the year :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi Becky. I'm one of those old fashioned people that still mail cards and letters. I probably send about 50 a month. I think I might be helping the post office stay in business - ha!

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.