Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Special Wednesday The Next Big Thing

I've been tagged by Margo Dill in a blog game called THE NEXT BIG THING! (Writer bloggers answer questions around the web about the next big thing in publishing....because aren't we all writing that hugely popular, next best seller?!
Here are the rules per author Ey Wade’s blog:
“If you like the game of Tag, this is the game for you. If you’re tagged, you’re “it,” and you have to answer 10 questions about your WIP (work in progress) on your blog and then pass the baton on to 5 author volunteers who will answer the same questions the following Wednesday on their own blog.”   *After searching through all the blogs I follow, I'm not really sure who I could pass this on to. I have plenty of writer/blogger friends, but not many who have a WIP, that I know of. *
~~~~~~
Here are my 10 answers!
What is the working title of your book?
From Pigtails to Chin Hairs; A Memoir & More 

Where did the idea come from for the book?
After I'd been writing newspaper opinion columns and had a few stories published in anthologies including Chicken Soup for the Soul, the idea of a memoir came to me. I felt really motivated to write about various times in my life and I believed others would enjoy reading about them, too. 
What genre does your book fall under?
Memoir.
Which actors would you choose to play your characters in a movie rendition?
This is a great question. I was asked once who I thought should portray me in a movie and my answer was Janeane Garofalo. I love her sarcastic sense of humor and I'm a lot like that at times. As far as the child or teenager version of me, I can't think of anyone. I'll have my people get back to your people!
What is the one-sentence synopsis of your book?
From Pigtails to Chin Hairs; A Memoir & More contains snippets of my life, vignettes that tell the tales of an ideal childhood, shattered by my parents' divorce; plus teenage angst, unrequited loves, grown-up years, and humor when you'd least expect it. 
Will your book be self-published or represented by an agency?
It is being published by a small press in Missouri, High Hill Press. 
How long did it take you to write the first draft of your manuscript?
Uh...how about 10 years and counting?? I'm trying to get it completed asap!
What other books would you compare this story to within your genre?
I really don't like to compare my writing to anyone else's. I'm still a beginner and wouldn't feel right saying, "Oh, my writing is similar to - - - - -."
Who or what inspired you to write this book?
My estranged dad and reconnecting with him again after MANY years. 
What else about your book might pique the reader’s interest?
I grew up in the 50s and 60s. My life was right out of "Father Knows Best" until Dad divorced Mom. It's real. It's funny. It's poignant. It's sad. And it's not just about my growing up years. There are also chapters from later on in my life. Thus the "& More" part of the subtitle. 
** Thank you, Margo, for tagging me! **

*Welcome to my newest follower, Mevely317. I hope you'll stop by often and always enjoy what you read and see! Thank you! *   
  


"There is always one moment in childhood when the door opens and lets the future in." -- Graham Greene

26 comments:

  1. Of course your followers new or those from the dinosaur brigade will like what they see and read. That is a given.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great interview, Becky! Your personality shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best wishes on getting your story out there. Write on!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you very much, EC, Patricia, and Linda!! I really appreciate your lovely comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice Becky. Can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answers! Looking forward to reading the book! ~T.K.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oops! Sorry, Karen...I somehow thought you were included in my first Thank-You! So, an extra special thanks to you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think Janeane would be perfect to play you!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your story sounds very interesting.

    I enjoyed your interview!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Sue and Beth! Thanks for stopping and commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your enthusiasm, Becky. It must feel fantastic to be so close to completing your memoir.

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Pat! Thank you very much! It is exciting....wish I could write faster...and without any editing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love popping in to visit here with you! How close are you to the finish line with your book? I love writing,....and have a project on the back burner.....I mean, shoved to the back and almost entirely forgotten! Yikes, I should really do something about that.




    Ciao Bella
    Creative Carmelina

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for your visit! I enjoyed reading your blog as usual...lots of fun!
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the title of this book. I think you did a great job with this exercise. Isn't it fun to talk about your book? Thanks for playing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love these types of blog tags - you can learn so much about the person and what they are reading. Thanks for sharing your memoir with us.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Such a lovely read, I knew almost all of this about your memoir, but loved to read it all in one place :)
    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Carmelina, Ruth, Margo, Ellie, and Estrella! Thanks so much for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Jannine Garafalo!? I always learn somethiing new and interesting about you. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Marcia! Thanks so much for stopping and commenting! Yep...good old wise-crackin' Janeane!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your choice of Janeane Garofalo, love that kind of sarcasm and I can definitely tell you have that same kind of funny wit! :)

    The picture is too cute. Good luck with getting the memoir completed, I know it will be a great read.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I WANT THAT BOOK! And I want it autographed by the author! Hahahahaha! Becky, go to my right sidebar and you'll find a photo of my writer/son, Joey. Click on the photo and it takes you to his blog. He has some great short stories there.

    Later, sister!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Julie and Judie, thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I can't WAIT to read this, Becky ... Your title had me cracking up!!!
    I, too, grew up in the 1950's n' 60's -- the best of times!
    Big thanks to Sandie (Chatty Crone) for suggesting I visit. :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.