Thursday, October 4, 2012

Busting Through Writer's Block

I don't remember exactly when I finally busted through my writer's block. 


*You would think I'd remember the exact day of such a momentous occasion, wouldn't you? And it hasn't really been that long ago. But, as I've mentioned before, my long-term memory is wonderful....and thank goodness, since I'm writing a memoir! But, my short-term memory...Sheesh, I don't even know half the time why I walked into or out of a certain room.*


This morning as I was getting ready for my day, it hit me. And so, you know what I did? I immediately grabbed my handy-dandy pencil and paper, jotted it down, folded it and put it in my pocket. *Yay for those simple writers' tools!* 



And so, in case I haven't already done so, I just had to share my little revelation in hopes it might help someone else:




* I realized I was writing the chapters of my memoir as if they were Chicken Soup for the Soul entries. 

* They weren't quite personal enough. 

* They didn't sound like me. 

* I know all about "Voice" in writing, and I know what mine is.

* But I also think there are various levels of that voice. 

* I needed to write more like I really talk. 

* There I was, sharing events of my life in my writing, and it just didn't sound like "me."




THAT did it. THAT was my answer. THAT was my breakthrough. 



It sounds so simple, doesn't it? Yes, in hindsight it is. But that's how it happened to me. And when I finally realized it, 


I began to write! 


The words poured out of me and I felt like I'd been hit with Writer's Lightning! 
Image: Microsoft Word Clip Art

Those of you who've read my posts involving prop planes and my writing, will get a kick out of this! I can't believe there even is a Clip Art like this.



I know this is blurry, but I love this picture. See Vern's paw on his rawhide chew bone?
Awwww, isn't he adorable?? 


When my beloved, pal Vern, and I went on our walk today, I saw prop planes fly over, again, just as they always do...just for me.


"We shouldn't forget that the universe moves with us, is at our back with everything we do." -- Natalie Goldberg

25 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you were hit by writer's lightning and that you figured out your block! Isn't writing fun? (And I love Vern!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Margo! Thanks so much for taking the time to comment. And I knew you'd love Vern!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's not to love about Vern, whose chew toy looks larger than either of my cats.
    I am more than happy that the writing plumber flew in to unblock you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you found your mojo! Sometimes all it takes is one little thing to get the ball rolling. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Becky,
    And I'm so happy I can finally see all of your blog on my laptop.

    It's weird about those prop planes. Wednesday evening at the Power Puff game they flew overhead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so glad for you, Becky! And that Vern is so cute with his chew bone. I want to reach through the computer and pat that sweet head. I miss having a dog! Love to you and Vern his morning and always...

    XO,

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your posts usually make me smile Becky! I'm so glad that you have got rid of that writer's block. That must be quite a wonderful feeling. Loved the photo of Vern - so cute. Have a lovely weekend. I have pictures in my head of you sat in a little turret, scribbling away like mad!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Becky, what an insight! I'm so happy that you shared this with us. Vern is so cute. Nobody better think about getting that bone, lol.

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi EC ~ You are always so funny. I love your sense of humor. That picture of Vern does make his paws look huge, because I was laying on the floor in front of him when I took it. He weighs about 50 lbs!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Janel~ Thank you!! Yep...that writing mojo is a wonderful thing! :) And you're right, you never know what will finally do it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Donna! Thanks, and I'm very happy, too, that you can finally see all of my blog. That was so weird. I love that name: Power Puff!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hey Sheila! Awwww, I thank you and Vern thanks you! He IS such a sweetheart. I'm sorry you don't have a dog, too. Can you e-mail me your mailing address? I'll send you a little something!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Thisisme! Thank you so much. I love your vision of me! Your posts make me smile, too!

    Hi Kathy! Thanks! I'm glad I shared it, too. Hopefully it will help someone. I'm so happy that my friends love Vern, too. How can ya not??

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yea for the lightening!
    I’m still searching for my voice. Unfortunately, my speech still retains too many “ya’all’s” and “fixin-to’s”!

    Vern is sooo adorable, Becky. How did he come by that name?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I absolutely love this post Becky. I feel your high level of energy recharged.

    But please if you get struck by that lightning again, could you send it my way? Wish I could see those planes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am glad you are over the writer's block. Nice post Becky!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yay! Maybe Vern whispered in your ear :)

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  18. It's great that you got your voice flowing.

    Vern is quite a looker. He sure knows how to accessorize. Love his jaunty bandana!

    ReplyDelete
  19. YAY Becky! So glad you had such a great revelation. Loved the clip art and your cutie pooch.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Mevely! Whatever your voice is, that's wonderful! And I love listenin' to, and/or readin' “ya’all’s” and “fixin-to’s”!
    And I'll explain about Vern's name in another post, ok?
    Thanks for commenting!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Myrna! Thanks so much. I wish I could send you some lightning and prop planes, too!

    Hi Beth! Thank you very much! And for stopping and commenting, too!

    Hi Carol! Thanks! Hey, that's a possibility!

    Hey Val! Thanks! Yes, Vern is quite the Dapper Dude, isn't he??

    Hi Lynn! Thank you! We've talked a lot about our writing, haven't we?! Wish we could get together again one of these days. And I knew you'd love any picture of Vern!

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a great post, Becky. What you say makes such sense, whether it is writing for publication or a speech (I have to write for other people a lot, and I listen to them and get to know their patterns so that I can make it sound like they aren't reading.)

    Glad you broke through. That certainly is worth a celebration with your special pal!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Jeanie! Thanks so much! I really appreciate it!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh honey, I am sooo happy for you (even if I only got to comment now) *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Estrella! Thanks...and heck, it's never too late to leave a comment! :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.