Wednesday, March 24, 2010

** Whatabouts Wednesday **

I wanted to come up with a cutesy title for today's post. So I decided to find a unique word that began with the letter "W", to go with "Wednesday". After spending just a nano-second or two online, I came across a site called The Phrontistery. (definition: an establishment for study & learning.) What a fabulous discovery! Every writer or anyone interested in language and words, the origins of words, etc. will love this site! So, I chose the word:  Whatabouts. Noun; meaning: things with which one is occupied. Sounded great to me! Whatabouts Wednesday! I then looked it up in a couple of other "normal" online dictionaries, and neither one had that in their list of words. Oh well. I love it, and so I'm going to use it!! It sounds like an Aussie word, doesn't it?

Here are some of my Whatabouts:

* This afternoon I was interviewed by a young man who works for Vox Magazine. (I had received an e-mail from the Books and Endnotes Editor a couple of weeks ago, explaining they were doing an article about Missouri writers, etc. She asked if I would be interested, and I said, "Sure". The magazine is published by the Columbia Missourian and produced by magazine students at Mizzou. Vox was named the best magazine produced by college students in the entire country.) Anyway, I had totally forgotten about that......a normal ailment of mine....until "Nick" called today. He asked questions. I provided answers. I should find out in a couple of weeks if anything I said will make it to print!

* I took part in the Coffee & Critique group again yesterday morning, and this time I took something to read. I really like this group! They are all passionate writers, kind people, very giving of their knowledge and offer helpful hints. I get so much out of it, whether they are commenting on my writing or someone else's. I'm happy to be a member!

* Naturally, I'm very occupied writing my book. I'm moving along at a pretty good pace....most days/nights!

* I'll be attending the Saturday Writers first Open Mic this Friday, March 26th at Main Street Books in old St. Charles. There will be readings from 7:00 - 9:00 pm. (I plan on bringing something to read.) Also during that time, the famous Mr. Nick Nixon, will be playing the guitar and singing! It will be tons of fun! So, y'all come, ya hear?!

* And finally, here's news about my Blog Contest for April. My new Author Friend/Blogger Buddy, Miss Michael Lee West, has graciously accepted my request to provide an autographed copy of one of her books. I came across Michael's first book in 2006, while browsing in a book store. (imagine that!) The title was: Crazy Ladies: A Novel and it looked interesting. I flipped through the pages to read a paragraph or two, and it grabbed me enough right away to buy it! I loved it! (It's about "crazy ladies" in the South)  I'm sorry to say I didn't keep track of her new books, so I haven't read any since. But, that is going to change. As soon as I get finished with the 10 or 12 books I have stacked and waiting to be read, I'll get right on that!

I'm not sure yet which book Michael will provide for the contest, but you can be sure, whichever one it is, it will be a fabulous read! To be eligible to be the winner, here are the requirements:

1) If you live in the South, or were from there, explain what was wonderful about growing up there and/or living there now.
2) If you don't live in the South, tell why you might like to.
3) No matter where you live now, if you visited somewhere in the South that left you with a desire to go back or live there, tell where it is.
4) Name someone from the South, living or deceased, or even fictional, you'd like to have dinner with.

They don't have to be long, drawn out answers. It can be as simple as this:
1) fun
2) warm climate
3) Atlanta
4) Scarlet O'Hara

See? Simple! Winner will be chosen by random.org after midnight, a week from today, March 31st.

And, please ask your other friends, bloggers, followers, etc. to stop by and join in and leave a comment! There's so many reasons to stop by and see what's on my blog! Thanks so much! Looking forward to reading all your comments.

And oh, by the way.....since I've seen things on other blogs about interviews or give-aways, etc......I have not been paid to do this, nor have I been asked by Michael Lee West to do this, etc...etc.. (and the same goes for the give-away of Bread Alone!)

"Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning: I wanted to know what I was going to say." -- Sharon O'Brien

17 comments:

  1. Dear Becky - here goes:
    1. How can you not love a place that fries pickles and green tomatoes?
    2. I do live in the South and will stay because I belong.
    3. I live in Atlanta but adore Asheville, NC and Gatlinburg, TN.
    4. Fictional - Rhett Butler, for obvious reasons. Real - Deborah Smith because she is an awesome writer; I love all her books!

    Congrats on your interview!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa! You followed the directions just perfectly, my dear! And how weird about you living in Atlanta....since I used that as an example! I had forgotten that's where you are. It's hard to keep up with all my out-of-town blog friends! :)
    Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just discovered Michael Lee West's blog, Gollum. It is gorgeous and so informative! I encourage everyone to visit...you won't regret it.

    On to the contest:
    1. I'm sad to say I've never been any further south than northern Arkansas. : (
    2. I'd love to be in the South because of long lazy summers, iced tea served on porches, southern drawls full of southern humor, and, perhaps, a bit slower pace.
    3. See answer number 1. But oh, how I'd love to visit Atlanta!
    4. Harper Lee, author of my all time favorite southern novel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. P.S. To be more specific, Michael Lee West's blog is Designs by Gollum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Pat! Great answers! This is going to be such an interesting contest. We'll all learn so much more about each other. And, speaking of Michael Lee.....How in the world can someone who decorates the way she does, takes so many gorgeous photos and blogs about it....How in the world does she have time to write such wonderful books??? She amazes me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Becky!
    1) Never lived in the South unless Corpus Christi, Texas qualifies but I only lived there one year. Can you tell I'm a geography expert :-)
    2)I'd have to go with K9Friend, I agree with her, plus Lisa's #1 answer of fried pickles and green tomatoes.
    3)On a big ole Southern farm.
    4)Whoever would cook for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I haven't read any of Michael's books, but I have had my eye on them!

    You know, you're asking a Yankee about the South, but here it goes!

    1) Born and raised in Michigan!

    2) I love the Blue Ridge Mountains. Such a different landscape from flat, flat Michigan!

    3) I loved Asheville, NC. Who can resist a downtown that has an indy bookstore across the road from a chocolatier, down the block from a craft store and artist co-op, which was across the street from a wig store (I'll take one in hot pink and another in lavender, please) which was down the block from a pet boutique!

    4) I'd love to have dinner with Joshilyn Jackson!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great contest! Here's mine:
    1) I lived South of Savannah, GA for two years, in a community called Richmond Hill. It was a place of magical mists and mosses and vines that creep and weep and drip and droop. That place had an ancient quality that fascinated me, like Jurassic Park, with pterodactyllian birds and sharp cycads and ferocious insects. It made me feel transported not just to a different place, but to a different time.
    2) I do miss it except for a permanent phopia of ants thanks to my talent for stumbling into “fahr” ant hills.
    3) I once took a Girl Scout troupe to St. Simons Island, GA. Oh, Honey. Combine heaven and history and beauty and beaches, and there you have it.
    4) Flannery O’Connor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Lynn, Janel and Tammy! Thank you so much for stopping and entering my contest! I just love reading all these answers! So much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I'll do my best to remember the questions :-)...

    1. No matter where I've roamed, there's no place like home. And the South will always be home for me.
    2. Born in Texas, raised in Savannah (and Tammy, I know Richmond Hill!), live in Atlanta. I start breathing funny if I leave Georgia-
    3. Everytime I visit my parents at Tybee Island, the air mysteriously leaks out of my tires. Ooopsies.
    4. Harper Lee (who's having tea with Flannery O'Connor and Zelda Fitzgerald so I can visit with them all).

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. I've never lived in the South, but I have visited there. I have lived in Ohio all my life.
    2. I would love to live in the South because of the wonderful climate and the friendly people.
    3. I have visited both North and South Carolina. I really love Myrtle Beach and other area beaches in the Carolinas. I would also like to see parts of Georgia and especially Atlanta because I have heard so much about it.
    4. I would love to meet James Taylor because I think his music is great, and I think he would be very interesting to talk to.

    ReplyDelete
  12. 1. I have not lived in the South except vicariously through many of their wonderful writers!
    2. I would like to live in the South because of their mild
    (for the most part)climate and to hear the wonderful accents the people have (at least to my mid-western ears).
    3. I loved visiting the
    Joel Chandler Harris home in Atlanta and the Flannery
    O'Connor home in Milledgeville, Ga.
    4. I would love to have dinner with Harper Lee, Flannery O'Connor and Mary Kay Andrews.
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Cathy C., Daisy, and Alice!! Thanks so much for entering my contest and leaving such wonderful comments. I just love learning more about all of you! And Alice, it was particularly fun to read your answers! (That's because she's my sister-in-law and has been for many years!)

    ReplyDelete
  14. OK, here we go!

    And I thought I entered this before but who knows!

    1. I think I would love to live in an area where I could visit Charleston. One of the most beautiful, historic cities I know.

    2. I can't live in the South because my Grands live here.

    3. It would be Charleston. I loved the feeling of history and romance there.

    4. Paula Deen. I just want to see how she looks close up. I know...I am very shallow!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Jenny! Thanks for entering the contest! I'm glad you remembered!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey! I came here from Dancing Daisy's place.

    I'll take a whack at this -- why not.

    I guess I do kinda live in The South, South West, anyway, Austin Texas.

    1. When it snows, as it did this year - a whole inch of sticky yummy fluffy stuff -- it is sheer MAGIC!!

    2. If I did NOT live here I'd tell folks, there is no insomnia in The South. Life is too happy, how could any worries keep you up at night?

    3. I would dearly love to float like a fairy amongst the over 300,000 cherry trees in Macon, Georgia this time of years. I hear the whole festival began with just one l'il ol' tree in the 40s and blossomed from there.

    4.) I would most like to have dinner with Britney Spears to see if I could guide the poor child a little in life. I know here mama tried her best, but maybe a stranger's kind loving suggestions would help her be a happier person.

    That's all!!

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Jannie! Thanks so much for stopping by and entering my contest! And I love it that you found me through Daisy. She's the best, isn't she?! I hope you keep coming back! Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.