Wednesday, June 23, 2010

** A Cautious Sigh of Relief **

Thanks to all of you that left heartfelt comments and/or sent e-mails of prayers and well wishes.

The family member who had emergency surgery is my oldest son, Scott, who I'd just wrote about on Monday, the 21st. He is in England for business and I posted the photo of him visiting Stonehenge.

(Scott and me the day before he flew to England)

I'm not exactly sure of the time of events, but sometime soon after that tour at Stonehenge, he was rushed to a hospital for emergency removal of his burst appendix, which also resulted in having some gangrene.

That was all I knew for many hours, which was the reason for my intense fear. And obviously, with him being a zillion miles from home, made it all the worse.

This afternoon, Scott called me from his cell phone and we were able to talk for quite a few minutes. His voice was weak, but oh how wonderful it was to hear it and to talk with him! He wasn't sure when he was going to be released from the hospital, but thought it would be at least a couple of days from now. After that, he said he'll stay at his hotel and rest up until his already scheduled flight home, which is on July 1st.

His British supervisor has been so wonderful through all this, keeping in touch with Cindy, Scott's wife, and notifying her whenever he knew anything.

I titled this post "A Cautious Sigh of Relief" because although it appears that Scott's surgery was successful and all the gangrene was removed, I won't be able to actually sigh with relief and/or breathe properly until he is safely back at home.

(*Note to Chatty Crone. Yes, I am indeed Scott's mom. I was a mere child when I was married the first time, so I was a very young mom!)

"Grown don't mean nothing to a mother. A child is a child. They get bigger, older, but grown? What's that suppose to mean? In my heart it don't mean a thing." ~ Toni Morrison, Beloved, 1987

17 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness, I can't imagine what you've been going through. I pray that Scott is on the mend and will be home to his family soon. Will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers. And I love the Toni Morrison quote, so true. Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad to hear the surgery was a success, Becky. Prayers for your son's safe return home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so thankful that things seem to be moving in the right direction. Continued prayers coming for complete healing and swift return home!

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. How terrifying for all of you! I'm glad you can breath at least a little bit easier now. I'm still sending hugs and good thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Becky, oh, I am so glad that Scott is okay! I'll still keep up with the prayers though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So glad to hear he's on the mend. Scary time. What is it with appendixes that they like to burst when you're traveling? It's like the water heaters that always wait to spring a leak until you're off on a two-week vacation. At least he wasn't taking a tour of the Amazon. I hope he's home, fully recovered, soon.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the quote. We're all brathing a sigh of cautious relief!
    Alice

    ReplyDelete
  8. A prayer answered - now to get him home and see him in person. Then get mad he had the attack so far from home! Remember when out kids got lost when they were little - you didn't know whether to hug them or be mad! lol

    You must have been a baby when you had him.

    ♥sandie

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Becky,
    How hard this must have been for you with Scott so ill and so far away. I am so thankful things went well for him, and you were able to talk to him. I understand completely the need you have to see him in person and hold him. All of us mothers feel that way. Sending lots of love your way~ Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  10. So glad again to hear he's on the mend. And what a cutie!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son had an acute appendix a couple of years ago while he was visiting me at home, and it was such a relief to me that I was able to be there for him during and after the surgery.

    I can just imagine how tortured you were with him over in England...and with a burst appendix, yet. No wonder you were nervous!

    Glad he's doing well.

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Glad to hear things are looking up.
    Have a wonderful weekend,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, Becky, I can only imagine the fear that filled your heart. So glad to hear that Scott called you. It will be an eternity until he gets back to the good ol' USA and into his Mummy's arms. God bless you all. Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. Whew! Thank goodness. Will continue to pray for Scott and his safe return home.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sincere thanks to Kathy, Daisy, K9Pat, Janel, Kathy, Anne, Alice, Chatty/Sandie, Vicki, Tammy, Sue, Karen, Susan and Lisa. And also to those of you that sent e-mails instead of, or along with these comments. It truly does help having such wonderful friends and family, whether you are far or near. Thank you....thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Becky, thanks for reminding me to come to your blog. I'm SO relieved to hear that Scott called you. What an awful thing for you to go through. Please know that he (and you) are still in my thoughts and prayers. Teri

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks, Teri! I had a great time at lunch today. It was good to get my mind back on writing, and away from worrying about Scott,,,,for awhile, anyway!

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.