Monday, October 4, 2010

** First Monday of the Month **

Every first Monday of every month, at exactly 9:00 am, our town and/or county, does a "test" of our Warning System. You know, those obnoxious blaring sirens that go off when there's a tornado warning.

When one of my grown sons was younger, he was terribly afraid of storms. This lasted for a few years and even interfered occasionally with his school days. Some months, I would be aware enough to warn him that today was Test the Sirens Day, before I dropped him off at school. Even at that, I would practically hold my breath when that horrible noise started up and blasted on and on and on. Would he remember that it was just a test?

To this day, whenever I hear that test siren (or any sirens, for that matter!) I stop for a moment and recall those long-ago years when I was a young(er) mom. Memories wrap around me like a swirling fog, a bittersweet smile comes to my lips and I feel cozy and contented.

"Rainbows apologize for angry skies." ~ Sylvia Voirol

12 comments:

  1. Certain sounds, sights, or smells evoke such strong memories and when it involves a child it makes all the more potent, I think.

    Where I work there is a high noise level all day because of the volume of customers, and you tend to switch off. But there is one sound that always gets your attention - the sound of crying or screaming child. Its an instinctual thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please excuse the missing words and poor grammar - I've been writing all afternoon and it's all become a blur!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice, that a siren can stimulate such tender memories.

    I like how you express this. As a mom, I can relate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And we thought some of those busy, exhausting days would never end...and suddenly, not only the days, but the years are gone...yes, bittersweet...

    ReplyDelete
  5. When my husband and I were first together, "Crystal Blue Persuasion" was our song.

    You just made my day.

    =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the rainbow quote.
    Donna V.
    http://donnasbookpub.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Becky,

    I can relate to what Scott was feeling. My grandparents lived in a small town about 1/2 hour away. Every week, I think it was on Wed., they sounded the siren for the volunteer firemen to show up for drill. It always scared me and I would hide in the dining room closet underneath the stairs, feeling safe between the coats and the smell of my Grandpa's pipe tobacco.

    Hey, your post was a writing prompt for me, Becky. I love the rainbow quote also, and, Sue, Crystal Blue Persuasion is my husband's favorite song too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Isn't it funny how certain sounds or music brings back a memory of many years ago. Like Dean Martin use to sing, "Memories Are Made Of This" or that.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I once wrote a short story about emergency exercises... in spanish. I think I might re-do it in English and post it for halloween (you'll see why...); it has something to do with your fear and what an emergency situation can bring.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We had an earthquake drill today and this one little boy obsessed about it, said he had plastic tools and since plastic is indestructable he could do all the repairs after an earthquake.

    ReplyDelete
  11. They test the sirens here at 11:00 the first Monday of the month. Always makes me jump when I hear them go off!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Was it me, or did they go off for an especially long time this month? Or does being off work for fall break have something to do with it? I love the quote, too!

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.