Thursday, June 16, 2011

Adventures & Remedies

I'm off to a very special adventure today with my son, Mark. I'll most likely blog about some of it, but I already have plans for it to be included in my book, too. (And hey, all of my writer buddies in the C&C Group... this trip was originally planned for Tuesday, and that's why I didn't attend, but it rained that morning and we rescheduled for today.)
I think I've mentioned, once or twice, my various notes of all sizes, scribbled in the moment a thought or memory came to me. A tiny piece of blank paper ripped from a newspaper, the front or back of a receipt, in note pads found in any room of the house, my purse, and/or my car, and of course the old reliable napkin, or paper towel. They would eventually wind up in a pile on my desk, getting spread all over and not to be seen or thought about until I finally decided it was time to de-clutter AGAIN.

This went on for months...years(?) Then one day I read a simple solution to my problem. I wish I remembered where I saw it, and who wrote the article, because I would definitely give them credit. I ran right out and purchased the very inexpensive remedy, which is pictured below:

See that small, single binder ring?? THAT is the answer! I gather my little scribbles every few days, punch a hole in them if necessary, and voile'!

I go through them when I'm working on my book. If I find something I decide to write about that day, I tear it off and throw it away.....making room for more and more notes. You can bet I'm taking it with me on my writer get-away...along with tons of other writerly things!

Hello & Welcome to my two newest followers: Allison and Keair! I hope you always enjoy what you read and see here and come back whenever you can. Thanks so much!

"You should always know when you're shifting gears in life. You should leave your era; it should never leave you." -- Leontyne Price

17 comments:

  1. I'm glad you reminded me about the binder ring. Perhaps one of those will help ME out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great and simple idea, Becky! I just wish there was a way to do that with stuff I start on one of three computers...I can never remember where my stuff is as I move from desktop to desktop and to my laptop.

    Maybe I need to have a flash drive hanging around my neck from a lanyard.

    And is it a coincidence that my word verification today is 'betypen'? I think not!

    Enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a little notebook I carry with me to write all those little snippets in. Yours is a good alternative, though!

    =)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Becky. They say that the simplest inventions are the best, and that little ring binder is ideal for your needs. Enjoy your adventure my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a scathingly brilliant idea!

    I have trouble finding my ideas in files with ambiguous names on my hard drive and flash. And my little flip notebook is not always with me when inspiration strikes.

    With the binder ring, I could hang onto my paper ideas after I've saved them electronically, and find one faster than searching through the files.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a great idea - at least you will have them in one place!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea! I keep 3x5 index cards in my purse and write on those. The binder ring would make a lot of sense. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Sioux! Yes, I'm glad I thought to blog about it. It's obviously something most of us never thought of!

    Hey June! Like your lanyard idea, too. Gosh, I could never keep up with my writing if it wasn't all on my laptop! And I had to read your word verification about 5 times before I "saw" what I think you saw: "Be Typin'"

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Sue! I have various notebooks, too, but it never fails, I don't have one when I need it! You're more organized than I am!

    Hi Thisisme! Thank you!

    Hi Val! Hey, are you also a fan of the movie, "The Trouble with Angels", or a follower of blog buddy, Cathy C. Hall?? Or do you just happen to use that scathingly brilliant expression a lot, on your own??!! It's one of my faves!
    And I'm obviously very happy to share the s.b. idea. Wish I could take credit for it! :o

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Chatty! Thanks! Yes, I love being able to find them now!

    Hey Lisa ~ 3x5 cards are great, too. I'll try to remember to have those around!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Since I homeschooled my kids for over 10 years, I have LOTS of 3 ring binders (the large size). We used a different one for every subject for each child. Now that we're done schooling, I have all those empty binders, so I use them in a similar way as you do. And since I had dozens of divider pages too, I try to divide my clippings and writings in some way. I'm not always successful, but I do try.

    Being organized is important to me, as I don't function well otherwise. (Some people, like my husband, can operate well out of clutter and disorganization...I cannot!!)

    Hope all is well.

    Love,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am not only a huge fan of "The Trouble with Angels", but also a follower of Cathy C. Hall. Two birds, one scathingly brilliant stone. I stole the saying from the movie, and use it whenever I feel the urge. Which is more often than I feel the urge to play the silent piano.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Patti! Thanks for stopping by. I think I definitely owe your blog(s) a visit!!

    Val ~ Well, that is just scathingly awesomely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I absolutely LOVE this idea! Thanks so much for sharing it. I'm much better than I used to be about using a notebook and pasting my stickies on a page and using Excel and other things. But I still have notes. This will work :)

    Happy Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great suggestion, Becky. Somehow everything just ends up shoved in my purse. And as you might guess, my purse is a mess.

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. Aloha Becky,
    I used to come up with ideas for a craft project or an article idea, but failed to jot it down because I didn't have my little notebook with me. Of course you know...the idea is totally out the window and totally forgotten.
    Love your idea!
    TFS and hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ugh, math! Definitely not my forte!
    Sounds like you had a wonderful trip.

    Pat
    www.critteralley.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.