Thursday, December 5, 2013

* This 'n That on a Thursday Evening *

You know how thoughts just seem to pop in and out of your head? Sometimes remembered, but most likely forgotten, and some are truly important.

Yesterday I decided I need to order one of those waterproof thingys for the shower, so I can write down those awesome brainstorms before they're forgotten!

Another thing that popped into my head, and where this came from I have NO idea, was that if I had to describe my present-day personality combining three literary characters, they would be: Pollyanna, Little Orphan Annie, and Lucy Van Pelt.

Pollyanna: She always looked for, and found, the good in everything. There was always something to be glad about. As a young girl, every time I watched the movie on TV with Hayley Mills as Pollyanna, I'd get so upset with all the adults in it because they'd get angry at her for always being so cheerful. It just didn't make sense to me, and still doesn't!

Little Orphan Annie: She always looked forward to tomorrow, because things were going to be better then, or at least they could be. She had spunk, self-reliance, and hope. She never gave up.

Lucy Van Pelt: Oh my goodness...there's so many reasons! She's such a smart-alecky, know-it-all, and still says the funniest things.

~~~

Okay, now that I shared that bit of trivia, I must apologize for not getting back to my blog like I kept saying I would. I've been in such a whirlwind that continues to spin, so I'm just going to post the short version.

1) I didn't go shopping after all on Small Business Saturday, except at my local resale boutique and hit the mother lode on great clothes. They were actually in my size, fit perfectly, and of course were very inexpensive. What more could a gal ask for?!

2) Have I mentioned I was interviewed on a local radio station? It was last Wednesday, Nov 27th, the day before Thanksgiving. It was lots of fun and I wasn't a bit nervous. It can be heard here. Just click on Lets Talk Shop for 11/27/2013. Then move the cursor to about 0:55:20. That's where my part begins. 

3) For the very first time, I'm attending the Erma Bombeck Writing Workshop! It's in April of 2014. Yesterday at noon was the opening to sign up and it was sold out within hours! I would've been so disappointed if I hadn't gotten in. I'm still going to submit something to the humor contest though, hoping to maybe win a free workshop like my friend, Donna Volkenannt did last year!

That's it for tonight. Wishing you all a very warm and comfy home if you're in the frigid areas of the world. And to those of you who may be too hot.....as in Australia....I wish you coolness!


"Can I help it if I was born with crabby genes?!" -- Lucy Van Pelt

"Watching your graceful movements on the pitcher's mound lulled me to sleep." -- Lucy Van Pelt

"The sun'll come out Tomorrow, so you gotta hang on till tomorrow. Come what may. Tomorrow, Tomorrow, I love ya Tomorrow. You're only a day away. -- Little Orphan Annie

"See here, little girl, we might just as well settle this thing right now, once and for all," he began testily. "I've got something besides the weather to think of. I don't know whether the sun shines or not."
Pollyanna beamed joyously, "No sir; I thought you didn't. That's why I told you."

30 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going well. Onwards and upwards.
    Have a fabulous Friday.
    Best wishes Molly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Molly The Wally! Thank you!! I hope to have a warm and cozy Friday! :)
      It's pretty cold here!!

      Delete
  2. I thought you were going to say, Scarlet O'Hara... 'After all, tomorrow is another day." "I'll worry about that tomorrow!" ;-)

    Lucy is a hoot, and I love Pollyanna. That would be my mother. My favorite character was Pipi Longstocking, she was a bit of all of them! I like her spunk.

    I will have to listen when Mr. Magpie is not trying to sleep!

    Erma sounds like a good time!

    xo

    Sheila

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheila! That's funny about Scarlet O'Hara...because many times I'll say that I'm going to be like Scarlet and say that famous line!...But she was much too self-centered and had unrealistic desires....and was horrible to the most handsome, wonderful man in the whole world >>>>> Rhett Butler!! :)

      Delete
  3. I LOVE Pollyanna, and Erma Bombeck too, I've read several of her books, but not recently. Hope the writing workshop is everything you hope it will be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi River! Thanks! Glad to know you love Pollyanna and Erma! I don't remember when Erma wrote her last book, but I think there's been compilations put together since her death. Thank goodness we'll always have her with us, through her writings!

      Delete
  4. You will have so much fun at Erma workshop. Can't wait to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda! Thanks! I'm sure I will love it! What year did you go?

      Delete
  5. Oh my gosh, I know I'm Lucy Van Pelt, heaven knows the dogs lick my face all the time. And I guess I've got that Little Orphan Annie spirit, too. Loved the post Becky. I'm jealous you're going to the Erma Bombeck workshop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheree! I think I see both of those characters in you! LOL
      I'm sorry you aren't going to the workshop, too. BUT, I'm sure there are always cancellations. Ask to be put on their waiting list!

      Delete
  6. As a much older person my character would be Alice (of Wonderland fame) as these days I love to dream and can imagine myself having adventures as she did when she was asleep.
    I so admire people like yourself who are so talented.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mimsie, I love it that you dream and imagine adventures! That's wonderful! And I'm not "so talented"......I just don't give up, I guess! But thank you very much for saying that!

      Delete
  7. Sounds like you have A PLAN for the future. Here...very cold and snowy...not ready but it didn't ask me first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Claudia, I don't know about having "A PLAN," but I'm working on it! :)
      We barely got a dusting of snow here...and a bit of slippery stuff. We're just a bit too north!

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you're happily busy. That's wonderful. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Myrna! Thank you. Yes, I think "happily busy" is a great description! And also add "happily tired" !! :)

      Delete
  9. So happy for you, Little Orphan Lucy-anna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teri! And that is so clever: Little Orphan Lucy-anna! I would've never thought of that! :)

      Delete
  10. Hi Becky...Congratulations on the radio show! Wow. How exciting.

    I think it's great to be like Polyanna! Susan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Susan! Thank you. I've been having fun, and working my butt off, too! :) although my clothes don't show it! LOL
      And I love being a Pollyanna, too!

      Delete
  11. Hi Becky, I just wanted to drop by and see your blog, and say hello! I love to write also, but, alas I am not published. I have enjoyed browsing through your blog and reading your quotes.

    Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzanne! Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by, browse a little while and leave a comment. I just quickly browsed through YOUR blog and I love it! You and I have many of the same "likes": Phyllis Diller, Groundhog Day, Elizabeth Taylor, Labs, squirrels, quotes, etc!! I hope you come back again! Oh, and I just became your follower!

      Delete
    2. Hi Becky, and thank you for your response. I've been trying to get on your blog as a follower, and, am having trouble. It's trying to put me on as my husband (he has a blog too). I did sign him out first, but maybe I'll have to just sign myself out and back in. I'll work on it. Yes, love Phyllis Diller!

      Delete
    3. Hi Suzanne, I see that you got the Follower Thingy to work for you! I found you back among the silhouette faces! I'd like to e-mail you sometime, but I didn't see your address listed on your blog. If you'd like, you can e-mail me Writergal53 at gmail dot com. Thanks! :)

      Delete
  12. Have fun at the Erma Bombeck conference-wish I could go....I played Lucy in our High School Musical and the experience changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eve! Thank you about the Erma workshop. I wish you could go, too! I'd love to know how playing Lucy changed your life. Please tell me more! You can e-mail me if you'd like!

      Delete
  13. Such a very exciting time! Can't wait to listen to the interview and hear your voice.

    Hugs,
    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kathy! You'll have to e-mail me and let me know what you thought of the interview! :)

      Delete
  14. Karen, what lovely things to say.Thank you! And I wish we could meet, too. Maybe one of these days...I do have traveling in my dreams/goals!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow! I'll bet the Erma Bombeck workshop will be worth its weight in gold. Good luck in the contest!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.