Saturday, March 20, 2010

** Odds & Ends on a Saturday Night **

On March 12th, I mentioned four upcoming topics I wanted to write about. I've already written about two of them: Tiny Lights and the Erma Bombeck competition.

The other two are: Songs on my Play List and my upcoming contest in April.

Here's my thoughts on my Play List. I love listening to a wide variety of music, and because each play list only holds about 200 songs, I now have more than two that are completely full. Many people find the music distracting and may immediately hit the mute button when they arrive at my blog. I can totally understand that. Most of the time when I'm "really" writing...working on my book, or contests or other submissions, I can't listen to it, either. I have a couple of CD's that I can listen to, and write to, and I even feel like they help soothe me and help me to write better! They are both "easy listening" instrumentals. And I do have my "Starting Song", which is Moonlight Serenade, played only by the Glenn Miller Orchestra! That may seem really strange, since I'm not 80 years old....but it was one of my mother's favorite songs, and always makes me feel kind of bittersweet, which is great for my memoir writing.

So, I have these questions: Do you like listening to music when you write?  Do you have a "Starting Song"?

"Music is what life sounds like". -- Eric Olson

11 comments:

  1. Sometimes I do music. It usually has to be instrumental though. On rare occasions I've songs like Bugle Boy era type when writing a WW setting story.

    I remember driving out of Lamar, Colorado once and shoving in Grease which ran for miles while I contructed a novel chapter in my head. Novel still isn't finished, but I remember the music and "writing" went hand in hand that day while I was at the wheel.

    Favorites are: Pachelbel, Walela, Irish Tenors, Willie Nelson Sings Cindy Walker Songs, and for real energizing KODO (Japenese Drumming).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Becky...I love lots of different kinds of music but NOT while writing. No, I like silence when I'm creating. Everyone is different. One singer I discovered from a fellow blogger is Eva Cassidy....she died very early in life but her legacy to the world is her angelic voice. LOVE her songs. Also love Il Divo, Andrea Bochelli, Josh Groban, and, of course, Placido Domingo. Take care and enjoy the music! Sincerely, Susan

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's usually too much noise in my house with hubby, grandpa, kids, dogs, cats, rat, etc. If that counts as music to my ears...LOL Hey, you didn't dodge the blog award! Visit my blog for the rules...you've been awarded!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like a variety of music, easy listening, old time rock and roll, but not while writing or reading. My background noise is usually the TV blaring in the living room, so I look forward to early morning when the house is quiet and I can think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Claudia! Thanks so much for sharing such wonderful info. I love music from WWII era, too. And I do a ton of "writing" when I'm driving, also. That's where most of my jotted notes came from!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Susan! Thanks so much for commenting and sharing your favorites. I also love the guys you mentioned...uh, their music, I mean! :)
    I don't think I've heard Eva Cassidy. I'll definitely look her up. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Lisa! Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this, too. And pertaining to your blog contest, all I can say is: I feel like "Mr. Bill".....oooooh noooooo!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Linda! Thanks for sharing! I know you've told me before that you like to write when it's quiet. It's especially difficult when "someone" in the house turns the TV up too loud, huh?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't have a starting song. Once in a while I want music on while I am writing, but most of the time I am able to focus better with complete silence. I think I can concentrate better that way.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love music, but when I try and concentrate, I need quiet. Otherwise, my thoughts tend to be driven willy nilly wherever the music takes me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Daisy and Pat! Thanks for stopping by. Yes, I usually need the quiet when I write, too, or very soothing music. But I love my playlist for many other times!

    ReplyDelete

I'm still getting quite a few spam comments that are Anonymous, so I'm trying "User with Google Accounts." If anyone tries to comment that I know, and it won't let you, send me an email, okay? Thanks so much.